• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

Date and time: 24 March 2017, 1330 - 1530
Conditions: 8/8 - 5/8 cloud cover, very dull becoming brighter. 10 C, moderate north-east wind.
Records of note:

• Pair of cranes
  • Osprey
  • 2 male stonechat holding territory
  • 60 mute swans (two herds of 23 and 25 plus several scattered singles and four pairs).
  • several pairs of mallards (the only ducks recorded).
  • singing Cetti's warbler.

Comment:

Osprey is a remarkable record, my first in 20 years of visiting. I think it was grounded by the cold NE wind. It is odd that this is first spring migrant I have recorded on West Moor for 2017, before any hirundines or warblers.

Little passerine activity other than singing skylarks and wren - too cold?

Surely a mod should merge this thread onto the old Somerset Thread?

It would be plain silly to have a second one running on exactly the same topic as the previous?

'so presumably you are one of the elite ??'

You are making two assumptions here:

1. I was the only who saw the Osprey.

2. In referring to an 'elite' I mean the SOS website.

I'll leave it to you to decide.

cattle egret still at mudgeley area. on the drovers lane...east chine, with grp of ~20 little egrets, in amoungst a grp of calves and their mothers.

GWE at tealham moor still

Date and time: 26 March 2017, 1345 - 1530
Conditions: 0/8- 1/8 cloud cover, very bright. 10 C, stiff north-east wind, heat haze
Records of note:

• Pair of cranes
  • 1st singing chiffchaff of the year
  • male Northern Wheatear
  • lots of small tortoiseshell and peacock butterflies.

Comment: First records of spring passerine migrants.

Attachments

• AGS15101.jpg
    AGS15101.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
This morning there were 2 Glossy Ibis very close to Tor Hide at Ham Walls RSPB. I was told that it has now been confirmed that there are 3 birds present. Went in to Avalon Hide and within a few minutes good views of Bittern and Water Rail were had. Two Marsh Harriers flew by the hide giving all the photographers present the opportunity to take hundreds of photos. No hirrundines seen but a couple of Willow Warblers heard singing. Roger

Date and time: 29 March 2017, 0800 - 1100
Conditions: 3/8 cloud cover, bright but cold with stiff south west wind, 3 -8 C,

Records of note:

Several pairs of bickering redshank
Several pairs of lapwings
Several calling water rails
One willow warbler singing
3 or 4 great white egrets
One female ruff
One or two singing curlew

Comment:

Looks as if there will be several breeding attempts by lapwing and redshanks. Curlews seem to drop in most years at this time but don't seem to stay (the same happens at West Moor). The plumage of the ruff seemed quite odd.

Attachments

• 4-AGS15255.jpg
    4-AGS15255.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 3-AGS15236.jpg
    3-AGS15236.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 75
  • 1-AGS15244.JPG
    1-AGS15244.JPG
    827.4 KB · Views: 82
Date and time: 01 April, 1200- 1400
Conditions: 3/8-6/8 cloud cover, bright with showery intervals, stiff SW wind, 10-12 C,

Records of note:

Peregrine
Pair of cranes
12 roe deer

Comment: Little activity of note.

Attachments

• 8-AGS15298.jpg
    8-AGS15298.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 6-AGS15312.JPG
    6-AGS15312.JPG
    583.1 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back