• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some questions about birding New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Amurfalcon

Sounds like a good trip to Twizel - can you give any more precise drections to the airfield and the pools / rivers in this area? Was it wasy to access with a normal saloon car?

Thanks, alan

Drive northwards along Mount Cook Road along the western side of Lake Pukaki. Once past the lake you will also go past the buildings at Glentanner airfield on your right. The road descends for about a kilometre and then you'll see an obvious track on the right that goes along the northern edge of the airfield. This is the track you want. I think there might be a gate and a sign about Black Stilts. I suspect that you should be able to drive at least some of the way along the track, although it's not all that far to walk if this isn't possible. The track takes you out to the edge of the delta, where you should find Black Stilts, Wrybills and various other bits and pieces. It sounds like Amur Falcon saw similar birds there to me.

Here's a link, which hopefully shows the junction of the Mount Cook Road and the track:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...25029&sspn=0.007838,0.019162&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Drive northwards along Mount Cook Road along the western side of Lake Pukaki. Once past the lake you will also go past the buildings at Glentanner airfield on your right. The road descends for about a kilometre and then you'll see an obvious track on the right that goes along the northern edge of the airfield. This is the track you want. I think there might be a gate and a sign about Black Stilts. I suspect that you should be able to drive at least some of the way along the track, although it's not all that far to walk if this isn't possible. The track takes you out to the edge of the delta, where you should find Black Stilts, Wrybills and various other bits and pieces. It sounds like Amur Falcon saw similar birds there to me.

Here's a link, which hopefully shows the junction of the Mount Cook Road and the track:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...25029&sspn=0.007838,0.019162&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Andrew

Many thanks. I have been getting very confused by the various black stilts sites around Twizel but this sounds like the best area at the moment.

On to another species - are there any really good sites for NZ Falcon at the moment? I've probably read most of the trip reports on line and there are some good general areas but nothing more concrete.

alan

Andrew

Many thanks. I have been getting very confused by the various black stilts sites around Twizel but this sounds like the best area at the moment.

On to another species - are there any really good sites for NZ Falcon at the moment? I've probably read most of the trip reports on line and there are some good general areas but nothing more concrete.

alan

Mount Cook Village certainly seems to be a regular site, and that's where I saw them. Ask at the visitor centre for up-to-date information. I saw them in the valley that extends up into the mountains from Sebastopol Drive:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...677,170.099001&spn=0.008309,0.019119&t=h&z=16
There's quite a large cliff near the entrance to the valley that's probably worth a look. Otherwise some generally scanning in the area could prove successful. The woodlands around the village are also very good for Riflemen. Try pishing to bring them in.

Alan - You have be fairly lucky with NZ Falcon. Right Place, Right time. Dave Bell has just completed his survey. Use this website www.nzfalcon.org.nz
Some pretty good info.
We have a pair here at Okarito. They seem to favour the same vantage points. They just happen to be about 30 metres from my place !

Less than three weeks to the off for me and Andy - still struggling with a few bits of logistics:

1. How can we get from Dundedin (arrive by boat l;ate am) to Invercargill Airport (for 5pm Stewart Island flight) on 2nd December - no flights or trains; bus or taxi??

2. Hire car from Invercargill Airport at 10am (arrive back from Stewart Island) on 5th December with one way drop to Christchurch Airport at 6pm on 6th December. Any companies likely to do that? - I'll call Pegasus later as we are doing our main hire with them.

3. Adequate Hotel in reasonable proximity to Hawdon Valley, Arthur's Pass - as I don't really fancy camping for the Parakeets.

4. Any last minute updates on birds in South island? Reliable Falcons?

Thanks
alan

Less than three weeks to the off for me and Andy - still struggling with a few bits of logistics:

1. How can we get from Dundedin (arrive by boat l;ate am) to Invercargill Airport (for 5pm Stewart Island flight) on 2nd December - no flights or trains; bus or taxi??

2. Hire car from Invercargill Airport at 10am (arrive back from Stewart Island) on 5th December with one way drop to Christchurch Airport at 6pm on 6th December. Any companies likely to do that? - I'll call Pegasus later as we are doing our main hire with them.

3. Adequate Hotel in reasonable proximity to Hawdon Valley, Arthur's Pass - as I don't really fancy camping for the Parakeets.

Thanks
alan

You could try a bus from Dunedin to Invercargill. Intercity are the main company but the only bus they do seems not to get into Invercargill till after 5pm. There may be other options though.

You could try a bus from Dunedin to Invercargill. Intercity are the main company but the only bus they do seems not to get into Invercargill till after 5pm. There may be other options though.

Andrew, thanks

I've emailed Catch-a-bus whose bus times seem to fit so may have that one sorted.

The hire car Invercargill to Christchurch for 1.5 days is proving tricky - Pegasus don't want to know! Maybe doing that on the bus as well!

cheers, alan

No Accom near the Hawdon Valley, the closest is Arthurs Pass
The Falcon is still here. I saw him yesterday

Thanks
alan

Hi
We also saw "Ian's" falcon yesterday as well as a number of other birds. We had a great trip with Ian on Thursday night - would thoroughly recommend it! Unfortunately no Yellowheads all day at the Bridal Track. Has anyone any up to date info on other places that they can be found?
Tony

10 days to go....

Rejigged to do OF parakeets at the end from christchurch (hire car from there as short duration one-way not possible Invercargill)

Ian C - have emailed you about the possibility of moving our Kiwi forward a day. Looking forward to your falcon - fingers crossed for that!

One question:

Does anyone know if there a commerically available / online recording of a male GS Kiwi?

Thanks

Alan

Back from my own NZ trip...

Will post a trip report in the appropriate section shortly but in the meantime, regarding NZ Falcon :

We saw 2, one mobbing a Australian Harrier over the car park at Mount Fyffe, the other on a post at a scenic pull in towards the end (if travelling south) of the Crown Prince road, which connects Wanaka to Queenstown, just before the road gets really twisty. The second gave stunning views but I would suggest the first is probably more reliable, since the mobbing behaviour is indicative of possible breeding I would have thought.

We also tried the bridal trail at Haast pass for Yellowhead and also failed. I have no idea where else they might be seen unfortunately.

Any other queries I'll try and answer based on my own recent experience. By the way I can also thoroughly recommend Ian's kiwi tour. It's a 'proper' birder's trip, it's not really for the casual observer who just fancies seeing a kiwi, but thanks to Ian's knowledge and dedication, the chances of success are pretty high.

Regarding Black Stilt :

I can also recommend Glentanner airfield. As previously mentioned there have been quite a few released there by the DoC and they give really good views, since they will fly over towards humans in the hope of a free meal. I don't know whether they could really be called tickable though since they've all come out of an aviary. I don't suppose there's much choice though, since the world population is still under 200.

Also lots of Double-banded Plovers, Pied Stilt and a few Black-fronted Tern. Walk out towards the lake where the terrain gets sandier for Wrybill. Also saw a couple of NZ Pipit here briefly.

You need good weather here though. The first afternoon we visited it was glorious but the following morning it was so windy I could barely stand up!

Tony

Any particular spot on the Routeburn Track nature trail for the yellowheads? Haast pass bridle track seems to have gone cold.

Have you tried for the GS Kiwis yet?

Thanks

Alan

Hi
Once where the trail splits quite near the beginning in the evening and then near the suspension bridge the next morning in the rain. \Both times they were with Yellow crowned parrokeets.
Tried for GS Kiwi at Bullock Creek - heard both nights and were very close the first night. The second night the heavens opened (thunder, lightening etc) so we beat a retreat before the road got flooded and we were stuck! Will hopefully try again later in our trip.
Rock wren showed well by the meterological (?) station after a long search.
Have fun
Tony
PS See you on the islands trip!

Last edited:
Tom

Many thanks for the yellowhead gen - look forward to meeting you on the boat; I'm sharing a cabin with two lads from Yorkshire - Andy Marshall and Richard (Dickie) Rowland. Looking forward to all those new penguins (but not the flight to Nz!)

cheers, alan

Probably a bit late for you now but I've just restarted my New Zealand blog thread with my trip to Tiritiri Matangi. On no account miss the island!

Thanks - currently in Invercargill, heading to the Snares on the Spirit of Endeby 2moro; no time for Tiritiri on this trip.

A good week on South Island so far with both GS and Okarito Kiwis seen, 15 Yellowheads, pair Rock Wren (after a gruelling ten minute search ;) ), Black Stilts & Wrybills, NZ Falcon (perched at Mt Cook), Fernbird and all the padders. Anymore up to date gen on OFP & SI Blue Duck still welcome.

cheers, alan

Coming to the end of a successful trip around SI and the NZ/Aus subantarctic islands - just seen SI Kiwi and Ulva Saddlebacks (unringed juvs - hurray!) and now heading for the OF Parakeets and King Shags.

We have booked on a Saturday King Shag boat trip but does anyone know if any are viewable from the mainland at present? Where from? We will have a look Saturday am.

Thanks, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back