• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some botanical notes (1 Viewer)

cjay

The Yellow flowering Lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) is in my opinion a common plant of urban areas, along with many hedgerows & roadside banks. In Kessingland south of Lowestoft (UK) it grows in almost all gardens, even in cracks in the pavement Stace lists four subspecies but I have only recorded R. ficaria ficaria & R. bulbilifer. Bulbilifer has tubers forming in the leaf axils which can only be determined after flowering. Those to look out for are the plants that grow close to habitation & in the shade.
This is another plant that spreads rapidly if planted in your flower borders.

Also in Kessingland I saw a small garden pond with the weed Azolla (Azolla filiculoides) it is a water fern that chokes still waters. It is red in colour & can cover a bucket of water overnight. It is an uncommon fern of dykes along the Suffolk coast & can only be killed off by hard frosts. Many blame those who release frogspawn into the dykes along with their own pondweed, thus spreading this red weed further.

CJ

We have he same problem with New Zealand Pennywort and frosts don't kill it.

Have to get in a pull it out, which is actually quite a nice job on a hot day.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back