• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smew in or near Cambridgeshire? (1 Viewer)

climberchris

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Cambridge and as a long term resident of the Northern Highlands previously, I have always wanted to see a Smew, so I thought this winter would be the perfect opportunity.

I don't have a car, so I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for Smew spotting within not-massively-too-far-by-public-transport distance. It doesn't have to be in Cambridgeshire - somewhere like Lee Valley is probably accessible, right? - but somewhere I can reasonably get to and from in a day.

Any suggestions or recent sightings much appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

This is exactly the issue that was on my mind. I'm going to Cambridge tomorrow and want to see some Smew, either tomorrow or on Saturday. The Cambridgeshire Bird Club site says there are a number at Fen Drayton currently. This seems a fairly big site - can anyone give me more precise information on where I might find them? I note there's a map herehttp://www.cambridgebirdclub.org.uk/

climberchris, I think that Fen Drayton is reasonably easy to reach from Cambridge by public transport or even by bicycle. Or if you PM me I might be able to give you a lift on the Saturday morning if you're interested.

Last edited:
Chris

The Lee Valley would be a very easy option by train from Cambridge, I did it a few times when I was a student there.

See this map: http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/en/flash/documents/leevalleymap.pdf

You'd need to get off at Cheshunt, and then if you explore the trails around Bowyers Water, Hooks Marsh, 70 Acres and Holyfield Lakes, you should be in with a very good chance. It's a big area so allow plenty of time.

Keep an eye on this link for recent sightings, though news from the valley seems to be bit thin on the ground.

http://www.elbf.co.uk/2010 sightings/bird sightings 10/birdsightings 10.htm

Fen Drayton Lakes are cycle-able from Cambridge. (There's a "Guided Busway" being built that will go very near but I don't think it's finished yet. Don't remember if there's other public transport).

For detailed information your best bet is the Cambirds Yahoo group. (Google it!)

Fen Drayton Lakes are cycle-able from Cambridge. (There's a "Guided Busway" being built that will go very near but I don't think it's finished yet. Don't remember if there's other public transport).

For detailed information your best bet is the Cambirds Yahoo group. (Google it!)

Tom is indeed correct about the Guided Busway. Still not up and running but when it is it will at least benefit bird watchers going to the Bird reserve at Fen Drayton or St Ives pits. The council have stopped giving out opening dates as they are now a year behind with the opening.

There will be a cycle track for the length of the busway as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back