• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small spotting like alternative. (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I am looking for an alternative to the classic binoculars for my usual walks and trails near rivers to observe birds at all kinds of distances, sometimes also in flight, I currently use a binocular with 12x but sometimes it falls short, a spotting scope like an 80mm for these walks it is very cumbersome and heavy... I had thought of a small telescope such as Svony 9-27x56mm or Celestron 7-22x50mm or 9-27x56 ED... placed on a monopod, has anyone tried this type of telescope? that such a result can give for this type of observations?
regards
PG.

I have an Opticron MM4 and monopod for exactly this.
Works very well, if there’s something to brace the monopod with - leaning against a tree or wall is perfect

I have the Opticron MM4 50mm with the SDLv3 eyepiece, but for maximum portability it's hard to beat the Kowa TSN-502 (straight eyepiece makes more sense than angled in this size).

You'd need some way to brace it, though. A V fork could do the trick if you can find a branch to lean it against.

Have you considered stabilized binoculars like the Fuji TSX1440 or Kite 16x42?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back