• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Six to ID (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

All taken in Leicestershire(ish!)

First three:

Attachments

• mystery-1.jpg
    mystery-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 161
  • mystery-2.jpg
    mystery-2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 167
  • mystery-3.jpg
    mystery-3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 178
I thought 2 might cause problems! and 3 has 2 different species in it

last 3 are all right and 2 out of 3 got the first OK

Edit : Hang on 2 out 3 are right on last 3

Last edited:
1. Willow Tit, unless there are some illusions on that photo!
2. Silver Birch
3. First ever record of Common Buzzard on the moon (that is supposed to be Leicestershire?)
4. Absolutely a Pine Tree, mature Scots I would hazard.
5. Headless Ruff (how did you get it to stay upright like that?)
6. Nice bum! Redshank.

So is it 6/6?

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
So is it 6/6?

Well, I can't be sure on the pine as it was in a plantation but you'll need both species in pic 3 - perhaps I should have titled it 7 to ID as 6 (pictures) was a tad confusing!

Adey Baker said:
perhaps I should have titled it 7 to ID

Oh absolutely, after reading the title, I thought it was against the rules to go beyond six! 3:)

And, ha ha, that extra lunar bird is the tricky one, but could it be an inter-galactic Peregrine a little in front of the Buzzard (that said, it looks too heavy winged)

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
And, ha ha, that extra lunar bird is the tricky one, but could it be an inter-galactic Peregrine a little in front of the Buzzard (that said, it looks too heavy winged)

It could very well be, so don't talk yourself out of it!

Just number 2 to go - clue: look very closely at the 'green' areas!

I'm sticking with silver birch, but isf you're interested in the bird (thread title only said "Six to ID"), then how about a scruffy phyllosc for starters?

Jos Stratford said:
I'm sticking with silver birch, but isf you're interested in the bird (thread title only said "Six to ID"), then how about a scruffy phyllosc for starters?

Is 'scruffy phyllosc' on the British List??

Hmm, thought it looked a bit on the big side, specially that left wing! So 'look closely at the green', which means not green!?

Cut off the tail and I could be persuaded Robin! Can I have a Dodgy Robin on my list too?

Jos Stratford said:
So 'look closely at the green', which means not green!?

I reckon it's an illusion caused by the blue sky - it looks greenish (thats not a clue!) in comparison.

It surprised me - and I know what the bird is - but to save anyone the trouble of downloading the photo and using the 'eyedropper' tool to see what it actually is, Ive already done it and here's a sample from one of those green-looking areas - honest!

Attachments

• colour.jpg
    colour.jpg
    560 bytes · Views: 123
Jos Stratford said:
I'll stick with my Silver Birch for tonight, have another look tomorrow if its still going unanswered!

Well as no-one else is having another shot at it now you might like to follow-up your description in post #12

Adey, I assume you dropped a huge hint and it's a Greenish Warbler?

Is there any way you can tell this from the photo, though?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back