• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Six contradictory claims in various sources!? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Just double-checking six contradictory statements, that I´ve stumbled upon, searching for some quite Famous and Well-known Naturalists!?
Most of these men are commemorated in more birds (some of them of many more) than the one's mentioned here …

No. 1forsteri
● Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri NUTTALL 1834
= the German Johann Rheinhold Forster (172X1798)*, who (among other travels) participated in Captain Cooks Second Voyage 1772–75 … was born in either 1727 or 1729?

No. 2 –temminckii
● Temminck's Tragopan Tragopan temminckii GRAY 1831
● Temminck's Sunbird Aethopyga temminckii Müller 1843
● Cerulean Cuckoo-shrike Coracina temminckii Müller 1843 a k a "Temminck’s Cuckoo-shrike"
= the Dutch ornithologist Coenraad Jacob Temminck (177X–1858) …was born in either 1770 or 1778?

No. 3 – lichtensteini/lichtensteinii
● Ochre-breasted Foliage-gleaner Philydor lichtensteini CABANIS & HEINE 1859 a k a "Lichtenstein's Foliage-gleaner"
● Lichtenstein's Sandgrouse Pterocles lichtensteinii TEMMINCK 1825
= the German ornithologist Lichtenstein (1780–1857) … whose Christian names was Martin Heinrich Karl or Martin Hinrich Carl? Which spelling is the correct, original one?

No. 4 – pallasi
● Pallas's Bunting Emberiza pallasi CABANIS 1851 a k a "Pallas’s Reed Bunting"
● … and in the Common name of the extinct species Pallas's Cormorant Phalacrocorax perspicillatus PALLAS 1811
= the German explorer Pallas (1741–1811) … whose Christian names was Petrus Simon or Peter Simon? Which spelling is the correct, original one?

No. 5 – gambelii
● Gambel's Quail (Lophortyx) Callipepla gambelii GAMBEL 1843 a k a "Desert Quail"
= the US (of Irish Heritage) naturalist and collector William Gambel (182X–1849) … was born in either 1821 or 1823?

No. 6 – kuhlii/kuhli
● Rimatara Lorikeet Vini kuhlii VIGORS 1824 a k a "Kuhl's Lorikeet" or "Kuhl's Lory"
● … as well as the invalid "Procellaria kuhli" BOIE 1835 (Syn. Calonectris diomedea SCOPOLI 1796)
= the German ornithologist Doctor Heinrich Kuhl (179X–1821) … was born in either 1796 or 1797?

If you know the answer of any of those questions, please, add the source you´re referring to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Not to be confused with his Son: Johann Georg Adam Forster (1754–1794), who also took part of the same trip!

Last edited:
1. Forster 1729 (source Rookmaker 1985. Arch. Nat. Hist 12 (2) 203-212)
2. Temminck was born 31 March 1778 in Amsterdam (Holthuis 1995. 1820-1958 Rijksmuseum ..... Leiden)
3. Martin Hinrich Lichtenstein it is (source Steinheimer 2008. Arch. nat. Hist 35 (1): 88-99)
4. Gambell is 1821 (source Beolens & Watkins 2003. Whose Bird? Yale)
5. Kuhl at 17 september 1797 in Hanau (Klaver 2007. Inseparable friends ..... Groningen)

Last edited:
Regarding William Gambel …

Thanks Justin and "mb1848",

Also see: Jercinovic, G. 2004. William Gambel: New Mexico plant specimens. New Mexico Botanist no. 30:2-4. (here)

And "mb1848", there seem to be a fawlty reference (not by you!) in the link you attached. On that page they´re referring to "Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences 5 (1852): 55-56" but I haven´t been able to find anything of Mr. Gambel in either such an issue or pages, so I guess they were aiming at: Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences 5 (1850): 54-55 (Attached)

Also see the web-page: Gambel's Life: Brief but Brilliant (here). Of which trustworthiness I know nothing ...

Some question-marks still remain!

PS. Mearns & Mearns. 1992. Audubon to Xántus: The Lives of Those Commemorated in North American Bird Names ... also claim 1823!

Attachments

• proceedingsofaca05acaduoft_0072.jpg
    proceedingsofaca05acaduoft_0072.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 70
  • proceedingsofaca05acaduoft_0073.jpg
    proceedingsofaca05acaduoft_0073.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
FWIW, the catalogue of the Bibliothèque nationale de France gives:
Forster, Johann Reinhold (1729-1798)
Temminck, Coenraad Jacob (1778-1858)
Lichtenstein, Martin Hinrich Karl von (1780-1857)
Pallas, Peter Simon (1741-1811)​
(Gambel is not in it; Kuhl is given without dates.)

Pallas used Peter Simon Pallas in German, and Petrus Simon Pallas (gen. Petri Simonis Pallas) in Latin. (In the names of species dedicated to him, his name is often Latinized into Pallasius, gen. Pallasii. In theory at least, this name could also have been declined directly using the 1st declension, following the model of Thomas, gen. Thomae. But he himself did not do any of this, he used his last name unchanged in Latin, treating it as indeclinable.)
Compare to Carl Linnaeus / von Linné in Swedish, vs. Carolus Linnaeus / á Linné (gen. Caroli Linnaei / á Linné) in Latin.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, thanks for your help!

I think this will do it … if no-one will prove me wrong I´ll go for the following:

No. 1 – forsteri in Sterna forsteri NUTTALL 1834 …
= the German Johann Rheinhold Forster (1729–1798)
Born 22 October 1729 in Dirschau … died 9 December 1798 in Halle (Halle an der Saale) in Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt), Germany.

No. 2 – temminckii in Tragopan temminckii GRAY 1831 etc. etc. …
= the Dutch ornithologist Coenraad Jacob Temminck (1778–1858)
Born 31 March 1778 in Amsterdam… died 30 January 1858 in Lisse, in Zuid-Holland, Netherlands.

No. 3 – lichtensteini in Philydor lichtensteini CABANIS & HEINE 1859 etc. …
= the German ornithologist Martin Heinrich Karl Lichtenstein (1780–1857) … whitout any "Noble" von – whose Christian names sometimes (in various languages) is interpreted as Martin Hinrich Carl
Born 10 January 1780 in Hamburg … died offshore, traveling between Korsør (Denmark) and Kiel (Germany) the 3 September 1857.

No. 4 – pallasi in Emberiza pallasi CABANIS 1851 etc. …
= the German explorer Peter Simon Pallas (1741–1811) … whose Christian names sometimes is latinized as Petrus Simon or Petri Simonis?
Born 22 September 1741 in Berlin, Germany ... died in the same City, 8 September 1811.

No. 5 – gambelii in (Lophortyx) Callipepla gambelii GAMBEL 1843 etc. …
= the US (of Irish Heritage) naturalist and collector William Gambel (1823–1849)
Born as "William Gambel Jr" in June 1823, in Philadelphia, USA … died 13 December, 1849 (at Rose's Bar!), Feather River area, California.

No. 6 – kuhlii in Vini kuhlii VIGORS 1824 etc. ...
= the German ornithologist Doctor Heinrich Kuhl (1797–1821)
Born 17 September 1797 in the City of Hanau (in Hesse/Hessen), Germany … died 14 September 1821 in Buitenzorg (today the City of Bogor, Java, Indonesia).

Anyone protest?

Last edited:
whose Christian names sometimes is latinized as Petrus Simon or Petri Simonis?
Usually Latin nouns and names are cited in languages lacking declensions in the nominative case, thus Petrus Simon Pallas.

But on the title page of a book written in Latin, you will only rarely find the author's name in the nominative (and then typically integrated in a sentence where the name is the subject; eg. here; the meaning being "Images of peculiar insects mainly from Russia and Siberia which PS Pallas compiled and illustrated with descriptions"). Much more often the author's name is in the genitive (Petri Simonis Pallas; eg. here; meaning "PS Pallas's"). And occasionally it can be in the ablative (Petro Simone Pallas; eg. here; meaning "by PS Pallas").

Last edited:
= the German ornithologist Martin Heinrich Karl Lichtenstein (1780–1857) … whitout any "Noble" von – whose Christian names sometimes (in various languages) is interpreted as Martin Hinrich Carl

I think that Martin Hinrich Carl was the official name. That's the name under which he appears in the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek. `Hinrich' is the name he used in his publications as well. This is a variation of Heinrich (the more common German version of Henry) which is particularly popular in northern Germany. Karl vs Carl is harder to verify (and I think spellings did vary quite a bit with this name).

Andrea

Thanks Andrea ...

I think that Martin Hinrich Carl was the official name. That's the name under which he appears in the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek. `Hinrich' is the name he used in his publications as well. This is a variation of Heinrich (the more common German version of Henry) which is particularly popular in northern Germany. Karl vs Carl is harder to verify (and I think spellings did vary quite a bit with this name).

Andrea

Hard to know what to do ... contradicting bids from normally very trustworthy sources!? Which one is The One to trust?

Also see: Heß, W. 1883. Lichtenstein, Martin, ur: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie: 556-557 (here)

Last edited:
I went rapidly through Google Books and archive.org, looking for works authored by Lichtenstein. In these works, he appears as follows :
On the two occasions where a first name is written in full in German, he is "Hinrich". In an English text, he is "Henry". In a Latin text, he is "Henricus". On all the occasions where a single first-name initial is used, this initial is "H". Thus, to say the least, he doesn't appear to have used "Martin" on any regular basis in his works.
The last two ("M. H. C.") also support Carl rather than Karl.

So I guess I'm in Andrea's camp for this one... ;)

Last edited:
Well done, Laurent and Andrea!

And thanks! You´ve convinced me. Not even the most stubborn one can argue with this! With Laurent's examples, backed by the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (German National Library) it would only be pompous to claim otherwise. Especially when that´s the way both Jobling 2010 (attached) and BHL (here) spell his name. It surely seem like he was called Hinrich Lichtenstein (also by himself) and that his full name really was: Martin Hinrich Carl Lichtenstein.

I will change my entry to (the others, and details, as in Post #9):

No. 1 – forsteri in Sterna forsteri NUTTALL 1834 …
= the German Johann Rheinhold Forster (1729–1798)

No. 2 – temminckii in Tragopan temminckii GRAY 1831 etc. etc. …
= the Dutch ornithologist Coenraad Jacob Temminck (1778–1858)

= the German ornithologist Martin Hinrich Carl Lichtenstein (1780–1857)

No. 4 – pallasi in Emberiza pallasi CABANIS 1851 etc. …
= the German explorer Peter Simon Pallas (1741–1811)

No. 5 – gambelii in (Lophortyx) Callipepla gambelii GAMBEL 1843 etc. …
= the US naturalist and collector William Gambel (1823–1849)

No. 6 – kuhlii in Vini kuhlii VIGORS 1824 etc. ...
= the German ornithologist Doctor Heinrich Kuhl (1797–1821)

Once again THANKS, for preventing me going astray …
-----------------------------------------------------------
PS. Though I have to admit the account for Lichtenstein in Deutsche Biographie makes me a bit nervous. I´ve used that source quite a few times, in various entries of various German naturalists, and I suddenly feel like I´m on quagmire.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPS. In any case: Forster, Temminck, Lichtenstein, Pallas, Gambel & Kuhl ... over and out!

Attachments

• Jobling 2010.jpg
    Jobling 2010.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I simply have to return to this one …

kuhli
● as in (for example) White-browed Hawk Leucopternis kuhli BONAPARTE 1850 (here) as "Leucopternis Kuhli". Without dedication, however the commemoration itself is not questioned at all.

In today´s HBW Alive Key explained as:
kuhli / kuhliana / kuhlii
Dr Heinrich Kuhl (1796-1821) German ornithologist (syn. Calonectris diomedea, subsp. Eolophus roseicapilla, Leucopternis, syn. Tringa glareola, Vini).
Reading the recent Paper The bird collection of the Muséum national d‘Histoire naturelle, Paris, France: the first years (1793-1825), 2015, here, (by "our" Birdforum member Justin Jansen! :t:) it is written, for the year 1823 (p.101:) "… amongst them birds collected by Heinrich Kuhl (1797-1821) …"

In my MS I (also, still) have him as "the fairly unknown German ornithologist and traveller Dr. Heinrich Kuhl (1797–1821)".

Wasn´t he born 17 September 1797 in the City of Hanau, Germany" (as stated in Posts; 2, 8, 9 and 16) ... ?

Which is correct? And which is not?
---

Last edited:
Anyone feel like doing a rough translation of the Sign Martin found?
Basically (Martin can correct if there is any imprecision):
At this spot stood the birth house and home of the naturalist Dr Heinrich Kuhl (Hanau 17.9.1797 - Bogor/Java 14.9.1821). Kuhl attended the Hanau High Landesschule and studied natural sciences in the Dutch Groningen. At the museums in London and Paris, he worked in collaboration with Sir Joseph Banks and Baron de Cuvier. In 1820 he was sent by the Dutch king William I as the leader of a research trip to Java and he died during the expedition. His birth home was destroyed during WW2, on 19 March 1945, as the entire downtown of Hanau, in an allied air raid. Kuhl's works produced over 200 animal and plant descriptions. He is considered the most significant naturalist from Hanau of the 19th C and was a member of the Wetterau Society. In 1818, he was appointed a member of the Leopoldina Academy of Natural Scientists.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back