• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silent Valley LNR (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
This site is in the middle of the South Wales valleys and offer some great birding and superb veiws over the ebbw valley. The site is a SSSI due to ti being the highest, most westerly natural beach woodland in the UK. Because of the number of beach trees on the reserve, huge finch flock gather usually containing numerous brambling and the occasional Hawfinch. The top disused tramline, at the top of the reserve, has plenty of hawthorn bushes which provide plenty of food for winter thrushes. Also keep and eye out for lesser spotted woodpecker which are also seen regularly.

The reserve is also good for raptors which include buzzard, Goshawk, Sparrowhawk, kestrel and peregrine with Red kite being sighted increasing closer to Silent Valley. And possibly the spectacle of the reserve is its ravens with upto 30 present year round. the best time to see them is in winter when they are displaying.

Summer time is also a good time to visit as plenty of warblers are present including the occasional wood warbler. Redstart and pied flycatcher breed on the reserve.

Website: http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/gwent/SilentValley.htm

Well worth visiting if you are in the area!

Last edited:
been there this morning and had excellent view of a female fox in very fine condition along with dipper and lesser spotted woodpecker. This place always throws something good up every visit!

Silent Valley pics.

I have attached some pics of Silent Valley nature reserve and some of its residents.All photos were taken recently at the reserve.

Attachments

• river.jpg
    river.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 188
  • river4.jpg
    river4.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 214
  • tree2 copy.jpg
    tree2 copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 207
  • nut copy.jpg
    nut copy.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 216
  • nut3 copy.jpg
    nut3 copy.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 192
Hi Mike

I was there in November and a lovely place it is too, thanks for the pictures and reminding me of a good day out

Hope to get back there again later on in the year.

D

Thanks Luke and everyone as I've never hear of Silent Valley before, lovely to read about with the Birds too.

Such beautiful photos Mike, an adorable Nuthatch - and what an eye on it, the Coal Tit and Robin also.

Sue.

It's always nice to here about a new place to visit. Silent Valley is on my list to visit in the next fine weather period. Thanks for the info.

Dai

i thaught i'd add a few pics of some the sites in gwent, so heres the first.

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 161
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back