• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (4 Viewers)

Hawken,

Were the SIII binoculars marked "Made in Japan"?

(With the rifle scopes, the SII Big Sky and SIII are marked "Made in Japan", the SII and SI are not. I think this is part of the reason for the price bump, and it also coincides with the use of different lens coatings. The SIII also get bumped for a number of other reasons).

Not sure how it goes with the binoculars.

CG

CG I don't recall any of them saying Made in Japan. A few models of these were on closeout for a while and after being impressed by the S1 model 8x32 and also the blue sky 8x32, I guess that I expected a lot more for the jump in price. They have a new website now that is a little skimpy on the specs. I don't know anyone who has looked through my S1 8x32 that was not really surprised at the view for the price. The S111 model had better eyecups and the armoring was fancier but the the view was not. When you get into the price range of these there are quite a few well known models that offer all this and a wider view. Into Vortex Viper HD range at that point and quite probably without that nice warranty.-------Jim

Hawkes,

Thank you for the comments. I remember someone mentioning the SI 8x32 but I couldn't remember who it was. I guess it is time for me to order one. I think I may start with the 8x25 though.

Come on Brock. You didn't read my second last post, did you?

:)

You know I am going to continue to post my comments here until you buy one, right?

;)

Seriously though, it isn't me that keeps bringing this thread back up. It is enthusiastic forum members....some that weren't even members here when this thread started.

Hey, as long as those commission checks keep on coming... ;)

<B>

Sorry to hear that.

..that is the beauty of the Sightron's though. For only $180 you can get excellent optical performance in a reliable binocular. :)

Frank, that's a little wordy to fit on a bumper sticker.

How about.... The BEAUTY of SIGHTron - excellent optical performance and reliability for under $200.*

* smooth turning focuser not necessarily included

<B>

Ahh, but we haven't heard that complaint for some time. Hmm, I wonder what happened.

;)

Buyers probably accepted the fact that for under $200, they're not going to get perfection in a focuser. Heck, with Swarovski focusers, even for $2,000, they're not going to get perfection!

<B>

I'm amazed that this thread is still ongoing. It seems to have an eternal life span. I talked my gf into buying a pair and I bought some after selling off my originals a few years back. Big mistake. Her pair were stellar. My old pair were stellar. My new pair were not a good sample comparatively but it's hard to put my finger on why exactly. They are just not as crisp and are my least favored bins now. Such is life.

I'm amazed that this thread is still ongoing. It seems to have an eternal life span. I talked my gf into buying a pair and I bought some after selling off my originals a few years back. Big mistake. Her pair were stellar. My old pair were stellar. My new pair were not a good sample comparatively but it's hard to put my finger on why exactly. They are just not as crisp and are my least favored bins now. Such is life.

I ran into this on the first ones I received. Fortunately I had looked through Frank's pair and knew mine were not as sharp. After some testing I found that I could not get one of the barrels to focus as sharp as the other, regardless of which eye I used. If I remember right I also had an issue with getting the diopter set. If I set it at a distance then when I focused closer it would be out of focus and vice versa in the opposite direction. I found these flaws within the return period and thus returned them for another sample, which was good. Such is the woes of the lower price point unfortunately.

Ahh, but we haven't heard that complaint for some time. Hmm, I wonder what happened.

;)

Here you go, a fresh one from bluespiderweb:

"I had tried the Sightron Blue Sky II roofs but they felt too light, especially with such a stiff focus wheel that mine had-not a good combination-hard to hold steady. And mine didn't seem all that sharp either, so the Foresta's were my new hope for a compact 8x30."

Stiff Sightron BS focuser wheel

Hold on to your sample, Frank, it might be one of the few perfect ones out there! ;)

<B>

Here you go, a fresh one from bluespiderweb:

"I had tried the Sightron Blue Sky II roofs but they felt too light, especially with such a stiff focus wheel that mine had-not a good combination-hard to hold steady. And mine didn't seem all that sharp either, so the Foresta's were my new hope for a compact 8x30."

Stiff Sightron BS focuser wheel

Hold on to your sample, Frank, it might be one of the few perfect ones out there! ;)

<B>

Well Brock, me thinks you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Seems most folks like them but for some reason it seems you just dont want to like them.

Good try, Brock ! But the focuser on mine is also perfect, a lot better than the Hawke Frontier focuser.

(I can't understand why you're staying here and your "compulsive attitude". The Nikon thread should be better for you ! )

Brock,

I have only had the privelege of handling three samples of the Sightron BS II 8x32. There definitely was some variation in the focusing tension and I posted as much. However, also keep in mind that personal preferences come into play here. What one person considers "not stiff enough" can be perfect for someone else and vice versa.

Just as an FYI, I did order the Sightron 8x25 SI after the comments posted about the 8x32 BS I. It should be here before the end of the week. If it offers the same type of optical performance as the 8x32 BSII then I think I will have found a nice, more compact alternative to the BS II 8x32 for those rare occasions when I might need it.

The question though is whether or not I should add further comments to this thread or start a new one. ;)

@ perterraED and DadradeFrance

A few years ago, before you joined this thread, there were some complaints about the focuser wheel on the Sightron 8x32 II Blue Sky. In fact, for a while, it seemed that finding one with a smooth focuser was about as hit and miss as finding a Swarovski with a smooth focuser! But at this price point, sample variation runs rampart, so it was clear that if you bought one, you'd better buy it from a store with a good return policy, no restocking fees or such. it was important to have your eyes open going in, and that's my job as Reality Checker.

But over the years, it seems, there have been less complaints about stiff focusers on this bin. So either buyers learned to live with this glitch as a trade-off for the good "bang for the buck" the optics offer, or Sightron has worked on the issue and improved their QC. Impossible to say, really. I'd have to go back through over 800 posts and I still might not find out, because, as Frank said above, personal preferences come into play, so someone with a Sightron Blue Sky with a stiff focuser might not even know that it's stiff, and just think that he was getting arthritis in his fingers (which, ironically, might have been accelerated by the stiff focuser!). ;)

I'm just busting Frank's chops (not sure how to translate that into French), because he holds the BF record for the longest thread on one bin. In fact, Frank singlehandedly put Sightron on the map. I don't know if he's getting a commission for all those BS's that he sold, but if not, he should since he's done more to promote the brand, and this model, in particular, than the company's advertising.

Before he discovered this new "star," people didn't know Sightron or thought it was a remake of the movie Tron. Those who bought one and kept it owe Frank a debt of gratitude because he's "da man" when it comes to finding those "hidden treasures," i.e., affordable bins that pack more punch than their price tag would suggest. Frank is the Duke of Cheap, the Earl of Affordability, the Burgermeister of Bargains, the Prince of Paupers. :clap:

As to the Sightron 8x25, if it turns out to be as good a bargain as the 8x32 model, I would suggest another thread, because when this thread finally gets archived in the year 2525, and someone searches for the 8x25, he's not going to find it, but rather a thread on the 8x32 model, and he will have to dig through 80,000 posts to find where the reviews of the 8x25 model start! Just thinking of the next generation! ;)

@ Frank, I look forward to reading your review of the 8x25. Hope it's a CL Killer!

Brock

@ perterraED and DadradeFrance

A few years ago, before you joined this thread, there were some complaints about the focuser wheel on the Sightron 8x32 II Blue Sky. In fact, for a while, it seemed that finding one with a smooth focuser was about as hit and miss as finding a Swarovski with a smooth focuser! But at this price point, sample variation runs rampart, so it was clear that if you bought one, you'd better buy it from a store with a good return policy, no restocking fees or such. it was important to have your eyes open going in, and that's my job as Reality Checker.

But over the years, it seems, there have been less complaints about stiff focusers on this bin. So either buyers learned to live with this glitch as a trade-off for the good "bang for the buck" the optics offer, or Sightron has worked on the issue and improved their QC. Impossible to say, really. I'd have to go back through over 800 posts and I still might not find out, because, as Frank said above, personal preferences come into play, so someone with a Sightron Blue Sky with a stiff focuser might not even know that it's stiff, and just think that he was getting arthritis in his fingers (which, ironically, might have been accelerated by the stiff focuser!). ;)

I'm just busting Frank's chops (not sure how to translate that into French), because he holds the BF record for the longest thread on one bin. In fact, Frank singlehandedly put Sightron on the map. I don't know if he's getting a commission for all those BS's that he sold, but if not, he should since he's done more to promote the brand, and this model, in particular, than the company's advertising.

Before he discovered this new "star," people didn't know Sightron or thought it was a remake of the movie Tron. Those who bought one and kept it owe Frank a debt of gratitude because he's "da man" when it comes to finding those "hidden treasures," i.e., affordable bins that pack more punch than their price tag would suggest. Frank is the Duke of Cheap, the Earl of Affordability, the Burgermeister of Bargains, the Prince of Paupers. :clap:

As to the Sightron 8x25, if it turns out to be as good a bargain as the 8x32 model, I would suggest another thread, because when this thread finally gets archived in the year 2525, and someone searches for the 8x25, he's not going to find it, but rather a thread on the 8x32 model, and he will have to dig through 80,000 posts to find where the reviews of the 8x25 model start! Just thinking of the next generation! ;)

@ Frank, I look forward to reading your review of the 8x25. Hope it's a CL Killer!

Brock

:t:

Brock:

Have you tried the Sightron, and what is your post count on this one ? ;)

Jerry

Not that many, Jerry. In fact, until just recently, I hadn't posted on this thread in years, but when I saw Frank was trying to revive it, and that it was faltering because the next generation of birders who had grown up since he started the thread were being seduced by the allure of alphas with Bill Me Later After My Kids Have Grown Up and Are Out Of College, I had to step in and help out Frank so he could win an Uncle Tonoose No Prize for "The Longest Thread On One Bin In The History Of Birdforum."

@ Frank Congratulations! Please collect your No Prize HERE!

Brock

Not that many, Jerry. In fact, until just recently, I hadn't posted on this thread in years, but when I saw Frank was trying to revive it, and that it was faltering because the next generation of birders who had grown up since he started the thread were being seduced by the allure of alphas with Bill Me Later After My Kids Have Grown Up and Are Out Of College, I had to step in and help out Frank so he could win an Uncle Tonoose No Prize for "The Longest Thread On One Bin In The History Of Birdforum."

@ Frank Congratulations! Please collect your No Prize !

Brock
Ok Brock :t:
But you are wrong for one point : the "revival" came from Ysterkvisten after one year of sleeping not from Frank. Post #826 : http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2973637&postcount=826

Brock,

You made me laugh on a couple of occasions. Nice. ;)

But Dadra is correct. I don't revive this thread. Others do. I just chime in afterwards. Ya just can't keep a good bin down. :)

On the other hand, come September, if this thread isn't being posted on, then I will revive it to mark the 3 year anniversary of my owning this bin. I have to keep the track record for durability going for the naysayers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back