• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short review of the Meopta Optika HD 10x42 (2 Viewers)

Rob from Texas

For $285 USD, I now own the Meopta Optika 10x42. After three weeks with it, here are my impressions:

(Keep in mind, my control and contrast pairs are my 10x32 Meopta Pro and Viper Vortex 10x42 MIJ)

Positives of the Meopta Optika 10x42:

One of the sharpest sweet spots I have owned. Contrast and fine focus are outstanding. The more I challenged it, the more it excelled. I like the color renditions. Very true and easy to pick up details and contrast without being superficial.

The build is robust and handsome without being bulky. The armor is a medium-thin firm rubber with fine stipples for grip. It is a flat green that blends nicely with the outdoors. This is a fairly compact and dense binocular. You get the feeling that were you to drop it on the sidewalk, only the concrete may crack. ;)

The eyecups are a comfortable, semi-soft rubber with 3 click stops, and are very firm with no wiggle or collapsing.

The center hinge is only about 1.5 inches long, so that leaves a lot of room for holding the lower barrels. The hinge setting is firm, it won't wander away on you.

The focus wheel is wildly slotted for finger/glove purchase but smooth in movement. (There is a slight wiggle in focus as you first touch it.)

Negatives:

The FOV for the 10x42 is only 6 degrees. Geez, this is tight. You will notice that immediately.

The fantastic sweet spot is not very expansive. The views get a bit fuzzy as you roll to the edges. In the wrong lighting , you can just make out a slight haze around the final edge of the view. In a wider FOV, this might not even be noticeable or distracting, however in a 6 degree FOV, it is rather apparent.

The harness-strap studs have very sharp corners. I'm pretty sure they would have opened a can of tuna in a pinch situation. I honed mine off a bit to mute the sharpness.

That's all the negatives I could find. Overall, I still really like them. They are a go-to pair for sharpness and resolution. Also, I think addressing the small FOV, this could be relieved a bit by buying the 8x42 model. At least, that's my educated guess.

For an optical tool, I rate this pair a 7.
For $285 USD, I rate it a 9.

Rob

If you still own these binoculars, what’s your overal impression after using them for over two years and have you used them in the low light of early morning and late afternoon? I’ve read positive comments on the Optikas and they sound like a real value in a European binocular. I read your other comments on the Tract Toric binoculars and wonder how they compare in a 10x42 to the Optikas. I’d appreciate any comments. Thanks for the review!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back