• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shawell Tip (3 Viewers)

thanks Dave, yes that looks more like a 2nd W should but still distinctive.
Can any of the Draycote boys confirm that the bird from Tuesday looked anything like this?

I'll pm you on Lafarge as I'd appreciate your thoughts. cheers Neil

Last edited:
A great showing from the two adult Caspian and two adult Yellow-legged Gulls this afternoon 24/02/2012). I first picked up what looked like and adult Caspian Gull on the water, but was taken a back by the fact that the bird at its side was its mirror image. The two birds swam a shore and both had long gangly legs and all the classic features of Caspian Gull. What I didn't expect was that one of them would get involved with a calling and posturing display with an adult Yellow-legged Gull. The two Yellow-legged Gulls seemed to be a pair as they were inseparable and differed noticeable in size. The two Caspian Gulls, although not as inseparable, kept close by to the Yellow-legged Gulls and seemed agitated by their presence. It was very educational seeing the two species so close for so long.

Sadly no 'white wingers' appeared.

Cheers,
Carl.

Nice one Carl. There were two YLG's 'paired' last year about this time but the Caspian's together must have been a sight.
Steve tells me that John had a polish ringed Caspian at Rutland last week.
cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes it was really exciting to see the two Caspian's together.

John did well with the Polish ringed Caspian Gull at Rutland Water.

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi Neil wasn't there for the roost when the Azorean was seen but will speak to Tim over the weekend. The roost continues to be good at Draycote with Tim having first winter Caspian, third winter Glaucous, a new juv and a second winter Iceland and adult and second winter Yellow-legged Gull. This brings the winter totals of white wingers to 10 Iceland and 3 Glaucous and all of which have been seen and found by me or Tim. Saying that there are not many people doing the roost apart from us :eek!:

Regards

John

thanks John. I doubt between the two of you much has slipped through, the impressive list speaks for itself, good work.
It is interesting that none of the white wings has been at Shawell in the last 48 hours but I'd be surprised if they don't do the rounds soon.
It would be interesting to hear if the bird Tim & Martin saw looked anything like the 2nd W in Dave's post.
best Neil

Yes I am surprised they have not turned up at Shawell as they have not been seen at Lawford Heath landfill, but the gulls are hard to see on the tip and are in a different field every day. Will have a look there tomorrow and then we will probably get the sunday changeover.

Regards

John

Bit of gardening

Just to let you know that as of 16:00 today, it is now possible to walk all the way to the viewpoint off the road!!
It feels a hell of a lot safer and you only have to set foot on the A5 in order to cross it.
Didn't have time to check the silt ponds but I did see a birder in there this morning as I drove by so there may be some news later?

Hi Everyone,

I was off work again today, so after enjoying seeing the two Caspian Gulls and the pair of Yellow-legged Gulls last Friday, I was drawn back again. There were far fewer gulls at the A5 pits today and no obvious sign of any great gatherings up at the tip. A large male Yellow-legged Gull was at the pits all morning. Due to slight differences in the bill pattern, I considered it to be a different bird to the male there last Friday. There was nothing else noteworthy.

Thanks for making things safer for us Neil.

Cheers,
Carl.

Last edited:
Nothing of note today. I thought it would be worth mentioning that the silt ponds don't just attract gulls. For two small bodies of water they often have a surprisngly varied avifauna. In the last month (from memory) I have logged Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Gadwall, Shoveller, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Shelduck, Coot, Moorehen, Grey Heron, Canada Goose, Cormorant, Grey & Pied Wagtail, 4 corvid sp, Snipe, Lapwing and Great crested Grebe. Probably other stuff too so lets start a list (on the water or the margins only ;)).

Hi Neil, I had 2 of the three second winter Iceland Gull's that were in the roost at Lawford Heath tip this afternoon, so they may not be making it to Shawell. Tim Marlow and Mark Baynes also had an adult Iceland and third winter Glaucous.
RE new access I presume you go through the gate at the botton and walk the other side of the hedge parallel to the A5?

Regards

John

Nothing of note today. I thought it would be worth mentioning that the silt ponds don't just attract gulls. For two small bodies of water they often have a surprisngly varied avifauna. In the last month (from memory) I have logged Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Gadwall, Shoveller, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Shelduck, Coot, Moorehen, Grey Heron, Canada Goose, Cormorant, Grey & Pied Wagtail, 4 corvid sp, Snipe, Lapwing and Great crested Grebe. Probably other stuff too so lets start a list (on the water or the margins only ;)).

It has also had Bee Orchid recorded in the past at this site!:eek!:

Cheers,
Dave.
Ps Nice one with the gardening Neil...

new access I presume you go through the gate at the botton and walk the other side of the hedge parallel to theA5
thanks for the update John, we'll just have to keep the faith at Shawell.
On the subject of access, I would if I could but that's all Lafarge land with no access agreement for now. The 'new access' is just a foliage clear corridor at the side of the road and although the trucks still whizz by at least there is now room to negotiate it without having to flirt with the verge. Hoping for a better long term solution but this is much better than we've had to date.
cheers Neil

Thanks for clarifying Neil. Seems a bit dodgy still for me to take my 5 year old on that route :eek!: Forgot to mention also an adult Med Gull in the roost that was presumably the same bird at Brandon in the day.

Regards

John

Hi Chaps,

One of the 2nd winter Iceland Gulls did make it to Shawell this afternoon. I was passing just after dinner time, so I took my lunch break there. The number of gulls present was fairly low, but who's complaining when one of them is a white winger. The bird was nicely bleached with only a few pale buff feathers amongst the coverts.

You did a great job with the gardening Neil - thanks.

Cheers,
Carl.

I forgot to mention there was a Green Woodpecker on the far shore amongst the gulls when I got there, so that might be an addition to Neil and Dave's list?

Cheers,
Carl.

Last edited:
Draycote roost

Another excellent roost with 4 possibly 5 Iceland Gull's an adult, one possibly two second winters and 2 juv's, third winter Glaucous Gull and an adult Med Gull a new bird differing from yesterdays and the Brandon bird.

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back