• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shapwick Heath by public transport (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

There appears to be a nice selection of birds at Shapwick/meare heath. Does anyone know how to get there by public transport? I will be coming from London and will only consider using one bus and up to 40 mins walk to the reserve.

Many thanks,

Oliver

The Pectoral Sandpiper and Spotted Crake are both on the drained lagoon at Meare Heath. You would need to get off the bus at Ashcott on the A39 and walk along the road to Meare. The entrance to the Reserve is about half way along this minor road and it is probably about thirty minutes walk. There is a bus from Bridgwater to Street that stops at Ashcott: http://www.webberbus.com/index.php?content=results
The Spotted Crake showed early this morning but not again until mid afternoon although the Pec was on view all day. Roger

I think it is too far, too expensive (trains to bridgwater are £60 return!!) and too complicated. Thanks for your help anyway.

It may be worth looking at National express coaches as I know that they run a regular service from London to Bridgwater, and are much cheaper than the train.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back