• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sept Oct birding trip to PNW - should I wait? (2 Viewers)

Marys1000

I was thinking of going to the PNW sometime btw mid-Sept and mid-Oct as I have never been anywhere near the area.
I'm not a lister and have no specific list of birds, and I would be there to see it "all" in terms of big water, big trees, big Mtn, big ferns...
However birds would be pretty important.
My impression from a little googling is that fall maybe the worst time to come.
Should I go somewhere else...(suggestions?) and plan a trip at a different time of year?
Thanks
Mary

Come on over.

We can have gorgeous weather in that time frame, although it's always a crap-shoot. By then, the snow has melted at about the highest altitude that it's going to and the mountains are ablaze with fall color. In the lowlands and on Puget Sound, migrating waterfowl begin arriving in September, wintering songbirds and raptors in October.

Any help in trip planning? I plan on around 5 days. Trying to balance driving with seeing. How much can I cover?
I just ordered the birding trail maps from the Seattle Audubon website and Oppenheim's book.

One outstanding birding site, especially in the season, is the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, about an hour south of Seattle. For the mountains, Mount Rainier National Park, of course, which ranges from near sea level at Ohanapecosh to alpine at Paradise and Sunrise. I suppose if you were to focus on those two, you'd save travel time by staying in Tacoma rather than Seattle, and there are rustic lodges in the park at Longmire and Paradise, as well as resort hotels just outside the Longmire entrance.
Cross your fingers that the weather cooperates, and then enjoy yourself!

I guess I'm going to have to buy rain gear.

Is that coated nylon better than gortex or ? I don't like being hot if theres a difference btw the two.
Do I need rain pants?

Temperatures? The bits I've been reading have sort of surprised me. It sounds like its already cold in September? Don't get me wrong, I prefer cool/cold vs. too hot but I'm wondering what to expect.

I'm not well versed in rain gear selection. Here's where I get my outdoor wear (I think my breathable jacket probably cost about $100 several years ago). In the upper right corner is a link to How to choose rainwear. I'm not dedicated enough to stay out there in steady rain, so I don't have rain pants, but might have to rethink that in your situation. I don't like confining, view-blocking hoods, so I removed mine and wear a lightweight, broad-brimmed, water-repellent hat (OK, by virtue of being a regular customer, I'm a part owner of REI Cooperative).

It can be hot in September. When it does rain, it'll be cooler than right now (cloudy, 62 degrees), more like 45-50, I suppose. I would bring a sweater to wear under your jacket (ready whatever the temperature).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back