• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semicollared Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Very striking bird that TWM! I'm far from an expert on Ficedula flycatchers, but if you have any more images showing the tail this may assist others more knowledgeable - that outer-most tail feather looks all white to me in the second image?

When it flew the outer tail feathers were very obvious.
The main problem against Semi is the white patch on the wing is not extensive enough.

Attachments

• 7V7A3760.jpg
    7V7A3760.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 30
When it flew the outer tail feathers were very obvious.
The main problem against Semi is the white patch on the wing is not extensive enough.
Degrees of overlap with this group however, it seems to agree more with SCF on most points ie. “long” white outer-tail margin, median covert bar and reduced white to the tertial webbing?

Cheers

Just of interest, it may be worth having a look at this thread on the Waxham Ficedula from a few years ago. There are some photos here, which seem to show a complementary set of plumage features to the bird you have observed.
I don't know what happened with the record in the end.

I hope this helps, and that some of the much more experienced members chip in at some point.

Another couple of photos.
The bird was still present at 18.25.

Attachments

• 7V7A3761.jpg
    7V7A3761.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 7V7A3763.jpg
    7V7A3763.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 37
Not seeing any reasons why this wouldn't simply be a E. Pied, which occasionally show narrower tertial edges such as this - see: ML267277161 European Pied Flycatcher Macaulay Library, ML480155831 European Pied Flycatcher Macaulay Library. Primary patch perfect for Pied, while 2nd wing bar is normal for 1st winters in all 3 sp.
Semicollared is usually paler and greyer on upperparts and with slightly paler centres to wing feathers and uppertail coverts, so overall a less contrasting bird.
Anyways, definitely not an easy group and worth trying to get a voice recording next time you face an interesting bird.

Not seeing any reasons why this wouldn't simply be a E. Pied, which occasionally show narrower tertial edges such as this - see: ML267277161 European Pied Flycatcher Macaulay Library, ML480155831 European Pied Flycatcher Macaulay Library. Primary patch perfect for Pied, while 2nd wing bar is normal for 1st winters in all 3 sp.
Semicollared is usually paler and greyer on upperparts and with slightly paler centres to wing feathers and uppertail coverts, so overall a less contrasting bird.
Anyways, definitely not an easy group and worth trying to get a voice recording next time you face an interesting bird.
Neither of those have the second wing bar or brown tertials, but as you say not a simple ID

I'm not anything near an expert here but there is definitely a second wing bar..... Which in theory doesn't exist in a normal Pied.... I would add that nothing on a quick google search for 'Pied' resembles this bird.

I can only add that we have had an 'explosion' on Mediterranean birds way north of their normal migration routes and those that have 'staged' for a number of days.

I think you need to double check everything as this year anything is possible.

Neither of those have the second wing bar or brown tertials, but as you say not a simple ID
Most of the images appear to show “brown” inner tertials, how relevant is this feature to SCF, presume not exclusive….cos if it is?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back