• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing Wallcreeper near Milan (1 Viewer)

PAAB

Hi - I will be visiting Milan at the end of the month and looking for any easy Wallcreeper sites north of the city.

I will be in the vicinity of Morbegno near Lake Como so relatively close to the mountains.

Thanks in advance of any help

Paul

I know a couple of sites here near Verona.
Nearest Milan I remember this place 45.758575, 10.076165
Thank you very much Maudoc. Looking at Google mapsm, the grid reference you have provided is:-

Pista Ciclopedonale Vello - Toline, 25054 Marone BS, Italy

There looks to be cliffs along the edge of the lake there, and a tunnel. Is this the area you have seen them?

thanks, Paul

Ciao Maudoc,

I travel through northern Italy at next June. Is it possible that those Wallcreepers spend summer there near Verona? Or if they move higher, do you know where? You can send me a pm if necessery.

Grazie mille.

Wallcreeper is not too difficult to find in winter in North Italy, even at sea level.They tend to be regular at their wintering sites, but sometimes they apparently disappear for days, so they are never 100% guaranteed...
The spot closest to Milan I am aware of is the "Diga di Robbiate" - Robbiate's dam, about 30 km North of Milan.
You should find Robbiate village and its dam very easily on Google Earth. Go to the village, follow indications to "Adda river", park at the obvious parking place and walk 5-10 min upstream until reaching a large dam across the river.
Wallcreeper is normally there from November to March. Wait for at least an hour to have the highest chances of success, in the meantime you should see Dipper, Grey Wagtail and other common birds around. Views can be distant because the dam is huge and there is always water between you and the bird, so a scope is better.
Good luck.

Stefano

So the Walcreeper isn't be at Diga di Robbiate at June?
Anyway - I think Robbiate is too west for us.

Ouh! - You answer was ment to for PAAB. Mi scusi... my mistake.

Last edited:
I travel through northern Italy at next June. Is it possible that those Wallcreepers spend summer there near Verona? Or if they move higher, do you know where?

I don't know about specific sites in Italy, but in summer, Wallcreepers certainly move up to the mountains, no chance to find them at low wintering sides.

So the Walcreeper isn't be at Diga di Robbiate at June?
Anyway - I think Robbiate is too west for us.

Ouh! - You answer was ment to for PAAB. Mi scusi... my mistake.

Hi Warixenjalka

I'm sorry but in June Wallcreeper is certainly no more there... They breed at high altitude, well above 2000 m, in hardly accessible sites. I see them often in winter (one few days ago for example) but I have to say that I've never seen one in summer, even high up in the Alps....

I saw a wallcreeper in breeding season only once, at Passo Stelvio.
In June I think it's a lottery... and in good sites

You'll have chances anywhere in the Alps, but you need luck as the others said. A good idea is to check for recent observations at ornitho.at, ornitho.it or ornitho.ch (depending on where you go). You'll need to go high up (best above 2000 m) and check for structured rocks walls with some water either in the wall or close nearby, be patient and listen to calls...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back