• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing birds by accident (1 Viewer)

Retrodaz

So I went birding yesterday on the look out for the Goosander (which I ended up seeing). As I was leaving a couple pointed out a Ruddy Duck, which I've not seen before. Despite directions, I couldn't see it for the life of me. It wasn't until I started processing my photos today, that I discovered I took a photo by accident (it's a heavy crop, but it's obvious what it is). While part of me wants to include it for my blog, my heart's telling me this shouldn't be included.
ruddy duck record.jpg

Last edited:
So I went to look for the Goosander (which I ended up seeing). As I was leaving a couple pointed out a Ruddy Duck, which I've not seen before. Despite directions, I couldn't see it for the life of me. It wasn't until I started processing my photos today, that I discovered I took a photo by accident (it's a heavy crop, but it's obvious what it is). While part of me wants to include it for my blog, my heart's telling me this shouldn't be included.
View attachment 519977

Locals may not want you to publicise it either, in case it gets sniped!

John

Last edited:
They weren't all that rare until the great cull started. Now they are rare indeed (and not publicised, as FJ suggests).

Apologies, I've only got back into birding this past year and have seen no rules anywhere saying when you can mention a bird or it's location. There's certainly nothing about this on the rspb website. Also the ducks are mentioned on the official blog of the location in question, further adding to the confusion.

Last edited:
I may have misled you there, Retrodaz. There is no rule suppressing Ruddy Ducks: on the contrary, it's policy to exterminate them so in theory they should be "reported to the authorities" (who are these authorities anyway ?).
Many birders oppose this policy and so keep schtum. You did nothing wrong and I didn't mean to suggest you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back