• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sedge ID, if possible (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
I found this sedge, growing in Cornwall.
The ground is basically grasses with, in places, a sphagnum type moss. Just visible, bottom centre image #2.
I strongly suspect that it is seasonally flooded by the Red River which runs at one side.
The plant was approx 10cm tall.

TIA
Fof
P1040082 - close up.jpgP1040086 - small.jpg

Thanks, aeshna5
I checked further to be informed by both "The Online Atlas of the British and Irish flora," and Flora of Cornwall (2020) that it is native, and known by various common names. The RHS website, however, lists it as non-native, and with the common name of Australian glow worm grass. Hmmmmmm!!

Thanks, James. Yes I agree with Field wood-rush.

I'm afraid I didn't make clear was that my comment was more to do with the sometimes(?) dubious quality of the info on the RHS website.
Another example of this is Silene dioca "Rollie's Favourite". On the RHS site, this is listed as Name Status - Accepted, with the synonyms:-
Silene robotii 'Rollies Favourite'
Lychnis 'Rollie's Favorite'
Lychnis 'Rolly's Favorite'
Lychnis × Silene 'Rollies Favourite'

The breeder, as far as I can determine, named this plant as Silene x robotii 'Rollies Favourite', as it was a hybrid between a Silene spp and a Lychnis spp.
I do know that Lychnis and Silene are often considered to be synonymous. Even if it is considered to be a Silene x Silene cross, it is still a hybrid.
As a hybrid, taxonomically, it CANNOT be named as a variety of a species.

Fof

Edited to include the penultimate sentence.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back