• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scridifer's Bulgarian List (1 Viewer)

27/01/23 Llanos de la Pez, Gran Canaria

80) Rock Dove
81) African Blue Tit ssp. hedwigae

27/01/23 Santa Lucia, Gran Canaria

82) Atlantic Canary

27/01/23 Presa de la Sorrueda GC

83) Canary Islands Chiffchaff
84) Spectacled Warbler

27/01/23 Fataga, GC

85) Red-legged Partridge

27/01/23 Charca de Maspalomas, GC

86) Little Egret
87) Spoonbill
88) Little Ringed Plover
89) Monk Parakeet
90) Dunlin
91) Rose-ringed Parakeet
92) Curlew Sandpiper
93) Common Redshank
94) Black-headed Gull
95) Black-winged Stilt
96) Black-tailed Godwit
97) Common Ringed Plover
98) Wood Sandpiper
99) Greenshank
100) Hoopoe
101) African Collared Dove

27/01/23 Maspalomas Botanical Gardens, GC

102) Sardinian Warbler

Some nice birds there and the canaries would be lovely at this time of year.

No Spanish sparrow? Or do they have them in Bulgaria

Any cool butterflies or herps. I’ve never done GC so not sure how easy they are

Some nice birds there and the canaries would be lovely at this time of year.

No Spanish sparrow? Or do they have them in Bulgaria

Any cool butterflies or herps. I’ve never done GC so not sure how easy they are
Thanks Owen!
Should have been lovely but we weren't too lucky with the weather, much cooler, cloudier and rainier than our visit to Tenerife/Fuerteventura the same time three years ago.
No Spanish Sparrow but very common here in the summer.
Was hoping for half a dozen herps, most of them endemic to GC but see above....
Butterfly-wise again had high hopes but only managed one Lifer, African Grass Blue and Monarch which I had previously seen on TE.
Did get Island Darter which was one of several odonates I had on my target list.

Chris

I had a really rainy day on my main wildlife day on Tenerife last year. It can wreck stuff so easily for butterflies and reptiles. Well done on the darter and chaffinch though and African collared dove is a hard one (think mine might be quite stringy) African grass blue are lovely. I like the underside a lot.

I had a really rainy day on my main wildlife day on Tenerife last year. It can wreck stuff so easily for butterflies and reptiles. Well done on the darter and chaffinch though and African collared dove is a hard one (think mine might be quite stringy) African grass blue are lovely. I like the underside a lot.
African Collared Doves are a nightmare:-

All the best

Paul

Thanks Owen! We had fantastic weather on TE three years ago, unfortunately I wasn't into butterflies then! Striking little things aren't they!

IMG_2743cL.JPGIMG_2748L.JPG

They are. They were probably the most common butterfly when I was on Cyprus last year. Beautiful little flashes of blue on patch’s of wasteland.

I did lanzarote before I was into butterflies. Got long tailed blue anyway but I’d love to go back to the Canaries for other species. I guess flights and accommodation are pretty cheap

Nice chaffinch shot

African Collared Doves are a nightmare:-

All the best

Paul
Nice article Paul, many thanks.
I could be deluding myself (wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last!) but they seemed 'reasonably straight-forward' especially around Las Palomas where there was ample opportunity for side-by-side comparisons with Eurasian. Of course with hybridizition I couldn't swear to it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back