• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scotland april 2022 campervan trip (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
embarassingly after nearly 40 years of birding ive never done scotland well apart from dumfries and galloway and shetlands

its going to be a semi birding trip, my partner is not a birdwatcher but enjoys wildlife and the outdoors

we are going the 21-29th april

thinking up the east coast to a site she wants to visit near fraserburgh then onto loch garten and i really like what ive read about gruinard bay and glencoe on the way back

so the whole of scotland mainland is open for us anyother suggestions on where to visit? what to expect or good bird sites

many thanks

If you’re in the Cairngorms I’d give the Findhorn Valley a go. Park up at the end and check the skyline for raptors.

On the Moray a trip to Burghead and Findhorn Bay can be quite productive.

You’ll be travelling in some stunning areas. Hope you have a great time.

Rich

The Scottish Ornithologists' Club has a free Where to Watch Birds in Scotland app that would aid route planning.

It all depends what you hope to see and how long you can spare for each location. Slightly early for some of the summer visitors. I'd consider Musselburgh, maybe Montrose Basin, Ythan Estuary, Strathdearn (Findhorn Valley), Loch of Strathbeg to name a few possibilities.

Hi Darrell

Think its difficult to suggest without it being a dedicated birding trip. Do you have target birds or are you just plodding along and taking in what you see as you go along? West coast around Skye brilliant for WT Eagles and also Golden Eagles. Findhorn Valley is spectacular on a nice day, possible Golden Eagles over hilltops but need to be patient. Musselburgh on east coast is great for things like LT Ducks, divers, Eiders, velvet Scoters and possible vagrant American White-winged Scoter. Most of east coast has something to offer.

I've PM'd you some little tips, but nothing is guaranteed.

Have a great trip, Nick

If you are heading up the east coast and your partner is a non-birder, can I suggest stop-offs at St. Abb's and Aberlady Bay? The walk to St. Abb's Head will give you nesting seabirds and spectacular scenery, while the little loch nearby just might turn up some migrant passerines in the scrub. There's campervan parking at St. Abb's too, near the start of the walk to the head. Aberlady Bay to Gullane Point (or starting from Gullane if the small car park in Aberlady Bay is full) is also a pleasant walk that should get you velvet scoter (with common scoter) off the point. OK, Musselburgh might get you AWW scoter and surf scoter too if you are lucky, but it has less obvious appeal for the non-birder - maybe a quick stop at Fisherrow harbour car park at high tide before you hit the Edinburgh bypass?
Further north, if you are heading to Fraserburgh you could visit Portsoy harbour further along the coast - I tried and failed to see the white-billed divers there on 21 April 2017, but there was a decent flock of summer-plumage long-tailed ducks just offshore. Although I wasn't really taking much notice of the architecture, it struck me as quite a pleasant little fishing village for a non-birder to visit too.
I'd second the SOC app as a good source of site info, including on some of the above sites.

embarassingly after nearly 40 years of birding ive never done scotland well apart from dumfries and galloway and shetlands

its going to be a semi birding trip, my partner is not a birdwatcher but enjoys wildlife and the outdoors

we are going the 21-29th april

thinking up the east coast to a site she wants to visit near fraserburgh then onto loch garten and i really like what ive read about gruinard bay and glencoe on the way back

so the whole of scotland mainland is open for us anyother suggestions on where to visit? what to expect or good bird sites

many thanks

I'll get a google earth map and throw some suggestions up for both great birding and awesome sights. Give me a couple of hours and it'll be posted in this thread.

This will be a really useful thread - my Dad has suggested that we do a road trip around Scotland as his first holiday after my mother passed away.

Again, he is not a birder but keen to see spectacular places and is still fit and active.

I have seen the birding specialities many years ago (I haven't been for 15 years o_O though!) but would love to look for butterflies like Chequered Skipper and we would both love to see Pine Marten (ok and Wildcat but not likely).

Any advice on the best time and sites to visit would be appreciated or any areas to stay. We were thinking late May or early June.

The Scottish Ornithologists' Club has a free Where to Watch Birds in Scotland app that would aid route planning.

Mono, thank you for the info . I have loaded the SOC app on to my phone as a few of us are going to Scotland in May
so the local advice is very valuable.

Lochindorb for Black-Throated Divers from mid-April onwards. Ospreys in Lossiemouth, by the park homes, Findhorn bay too, but more distant.
So much to see...

Last edited:
Some of the pieces you read make it sound easy to clean up on the Highland specialities bird wise i.e 9ver a weekend. Personally I think you also need a lot of luck as well as a good idea as where to look for particular species. As well as Birdforum there are loads of trip reports covering Scotland/ the Highlands on the Web. It might be worth having a look at the O.S maps for some of the areas you are visiting there are various options price wise on the O.S app or if you buy a paper copy you get a free code to download it to the app.If you are anywhere near the West Coast in the Highlands the area around Poolewe is fantastic for stunning quiet beaches with chances of Otter, Dolphins etc in the area.

Weather doesn't seem to be too bad for the next week.

Enjoy.

Have fun getting to Applecross.:eek:.. that's quite an experience but well worth it!!!:) It's beautiful round there.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back