• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scolopax mira ohyamai Hiroshige & Yoshikazu, 2018 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Hiroshige Matsuoka & Yoshikazu Hasegawa, 2018.

Birds around the Minatogawa Man: the Late Pleistocene avian fossil assemblage of the Minatogawa Fissure, southern part of Okinawa Island, Central Ryukyu Islands, Japan.

Bulletin of Gunma Museum of Natural History. 22: 1–21.

Free pdf: http://www.gmnh.pref.gunma.jp/wp-content/uploads/bulletin22_1.pdf
ETYMOLOGY. Dedicated to the late Mr. Seiho Ohyama who rendered remarkable services to the paleontology and paleoanthropology of Okinawa. Discovery of the Pleistocene human fossils, Minatogawa-Man, from Minatogawa was the fruit of his ardor.

The Key to Scientific Names claims:
Seiho Ohyama (fl. 1940) Japanese palaeontologist (subsp. Scolopax mira).

At least in 1998 here he was still alive and lived at Tomari, Naha. Maybe someone with better japanese skills is able to find his life dates. Why fl. 1940 is unknown to me.

Last edited:
This seems to be him:
Okinawa businessman and amateur archeologist and paleontologist, 1912-1996.

A monument erected for the 100 years of his birth:

Re. the Woodcock ssp./taxon
... Why fl. 1940 is unknown to me.

Also to me, as the Authors, Matsuoka & Hasegawa (2018), clearly told us (in the Introduction, p.1):
Mr. Seiho Oyama (or, Ohyama, in a pronouncing spelling) and his family and colleagues, who carried out the great discovery of Minatogawa Man in 1968, recognized skeletal elements of birds as those of fowls and ...

I'd say that Laurent got the proper guy.

Spelling optional.

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back