• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandplovers Hongkong April 2017 (1 Viewer)

PJSharp

Dear all,

I would appreciate your thoughts/advice on the identification of the following sandplover photos. These were all taken at Mai Po in Hongkong on the 11 April 2017, using a combination of my Samsung S7 mobile phone, Solomark universal adapter and Opticron MM3 60 ED travel scope. For further details of the trip see my report at:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342276

Photo 1: This shows two sandplovers in the middle distance, one to the left of centre and the other near the left side of the photo.

The left-hand bird shows a large thick and long bill, a distinct angle between the forehead and flatish top of its head, and a relatively narrow breast-band. It is noticeably larger than the other sandplover, surrounding Curlew Sandpipers and the Broad-billed Sandpiper between the two. I reckon this is a Greater Sandplover (Charadrius leschenaultii), perhaps nominate leschenaultii? Compare bill size with the birds in photo 3.

The more central bird has a small narrow evenly pointed bill, you can't really see the shape of its head but it has black lores, large white windows on its forehead bisected by a black line, the white from the forehead extends over the eyes, which looks a little odd, the breast-band is broader, and a deep chestnut colour (compare with birds in photo 2), but not as rufous as the bird in photo 5, and nor does it have an obvious black upper border. It is very small looking - smaller than the Broad-billed and Curlew Sandpipers. I reckon this is a Lesser Sandplover (Charadrius mongolus), but which race/sub-species? - Not 'Mongolian' Sandplover?

Photo 2: Again showing two sandplovers, very similar to each other and presumably the same species and race. These birds appear to be intermediate in size between the two birds on photo 1; marginally larger than the Curlew Sandpipers and Broad-billed Sandpiper. They show distinctly smaller and thinner bills than the left hand bird in photo 1, the bills do not look longer than the eye-to-bill distance. In contrast to the more central bird in photo 1 these birds show smaller white windows on the forehead, noticeably black frontal bar and ear coverts, and a thinner less deeply coloured breast band. I reckon these are both Lesser Sandplover (Charadrius mongolus), based on bill shape and length, maybe race atrifrons (showing small white windows)?

Photo 3: Two more sandplovers, again the same species/race as each other. These birds show long pale-ish legs, are slightly larger than the Curlew Sandpipers, have a long relatively thick bill that has an angle to the tip, show a pale chestnut breast-band that extends onto the sides of the neck, nape and crown. I reckon both birds are Greater Sandplover (Charadrius leschenaultii), based on bill shape and length, perhaps a different smaller race to the left bird in photo 1? But the head shape looks rounded - too rounded?

Photo 4: A presumably female sandplover, showing shortish dark legs, similar in size, possibly smaller than the Broad-billed Sandpiper. The bill looks shortish. Not much to go on, but I reckon Lesser Sandplover (Charadrius mongolus), based on smaller size and bill size, presumably not possible to determine race?

Photo 5: A well marked male bird with a rufous chestnut breast-band, much deeper in colour than shown by all preceding birds, broad and extending slightly onto flanks, and with a black upper margin. Medium sized bill, evenly pointed. I reckon this is Lesser Sandplover (Charadrius mongolus), race stegmanni/mongolus i.e. Mongolian Sandplover, based on the black upper margin to the deeper coloured breast-band.

Happy birding, Paul

Attachments

• waders1b.jpg
    waders1b.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 68
  • waders2b.jpg
    waders2b.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 58
  • sandplovers2.jpg
    sandplovers2.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 53
  • sandplover3a.jpg
    sandplover3a.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 58
  • sandplover4.jpg
    sandplover4.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 58
If I remember correctly, the black outline where the rufous meets the white on the breast, is a feature of the race atrifrons not mongolus Lesser and it's clear on the last shot.

A

If I remember correctly, the black outline where the rufous meets the white on the breast, is a feature of the race atrifrons not mongolus Lesser and it's clear on the last shot.

A

Other way round. The black band above the rufous breast is a feature of mongolus group, not atrifrons group.

Hong Kong gets three subspecies of sandplovers - the commonest are Greater (nominate leschenaultii), with good numbers of mongolus Lesser in spring and small numbers of schaeferi Lesser (one of the atrifrons group).
I find that the easiest thing to look for in spring is the breast band - narrow and pale orange in Greater, broad and dark rufous in mongolus, broad and pale orange in schaeferi. The bill shape is usually obvious, especially the long, pointed bill of Greater compared to the short, 'blobby' bill of mongolus. The shape of the mask is useful as well, so is the presence of grey on the flanks (in mongolus only). To add to the confusion, females are not as bright as males and female Greater often looks much more round-headed than male.

I would say your birds are:
1. Greater on left (probably female), mongolus on right (probably female; note the dark flanks on this bird)
2. Both Greater
3. Both Greater (classic narrow breast band)
4. May be schaeferi but I'm not entirely sure and would prefer a better view.
5. mongolus (male).

Dear Andy and John,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I knew the black at the top of the breast band was a key feature, but was slightly thrown by one of my field guides having incorrectly labelled Mongolus/Atrifrons pictures.

John, thank you for your detailed ID tips, it was great to meet you on my visit to Mai Po, and these will help me on future trips. I clearly need more practice with these birds.

The first two in the first image were the first Sandplovers I saw on the day and set my frame of reference for subsequent birds - because the size difference was so great. I am still surprised at the apparent difference in the size of the bill on the left hand bird in the first image and the two birds in the second image, but maybe that is an artifact of the poor photo quality/angle of the bird. I happily accept your ID of the birds in photo 2 John.

I have added below another photo of the bird in image 4, it's a different view, but I'm not sure it is a better one!

All the best, Paul

Attachments

• sandplover3b.jpg
    sandplover3b.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 21
The first two in the first image were the first Sandplovers I saw on the day and set my frame of reference for subsequent birds - because the size difference was so great.

Confusingly, despite the names, I find it's better not to rely too much on size - mongolus overlaps with Greater in several measurements, and size can be tricky to judge in the field.

I have added below another photo of the bird in image 4, it's a different view, but I'm not sure it is a better one!

Sorry, I'm still not at all sure. It looks slightly greyer on this new photo, and from this one shot I'd incline towards mongolus. I'm don't think it's Greater.

I clearly need more practice with these birds.

You're not the only one. I've been looking at these for several years, and still get a few individuals that I can't make up my mind about.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back