• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Blas Mexico still a blast? (1 Viewer)

revs45

punk birder
we are seriously (i mean seriously) considering taking a trip down south the last week of October and from what i've read San Blas seems to be highly regarded.
i am thinking to stay there for 6 or 7 days exclusively.
i have read a number of trip reports online already but they all seen to be at least 5 - 6 years old.

has anyone been there recently and would it be safe for a couple in their 30's (with cameras) to just wander around without guides?
would it be alright to just roll into town without reservations at a hotel?
i'm thinking birding season might mean more "no vacancy".

much obliged.

San Blas

we are seriously (i mean seriously) considering taking a trip down south the last week of October and from what i've read San Blas seems to be highly regarded.

has anyone been there recently and would it be safe for a couple in their 30's (with cameras) to just wander around without guides?
would it be alright to just roll into town without reservations at a hotel?
i'm thinking birding season might mean more "no vacancy".

much obliged.

You asked several questions:
1. To me, it seems safer than other birding destinations I've seen in Mexico. My first trip there was in 1969, last trip was in 2004. Every time has different memories.
2. The Howell Birdfinding Guide would provide you with the several locations most birders visit. The hurricane a few years ago did damage, but birding is still great there.
3. There are reasonably priced hotels. You can try to camp on the beach at a palapa, but some fall and winter seasons the sand fleas "jejenes" may drive you nuts.
4. spend a few extra pesos and take the afternoon boatride through the mangroves to La Tovara and see the Potoos on the trip back at night.
5. Enjoy the fresh, locally caught baracuda grilled, with a cerveza at the local fish shacks.

Bruce Webb
Granite Bay, California

Bruce has provided a lot of good information.

I'll just add that I was in San Blas in March and it was excellent, very safe and convenient to move about. There was also a number of tour groups there too, so I assume it is still considered a prime destination.

good news is we bought our plane tickets last weekend!
i'm hoping the beginning of November will be good.
the beauty of going to a place like that is that every bird we see will be new to us, it's going to be very hard to choose which subjects to aim the digiscope at (i hope).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back