• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabah, Borneo: Suspected Geometridae, and a few others (1 Viewer)

Kaps

United Kingdom
I think two of these are Hypomecis cineracea but I'm not sure. I was located in Danum Valley Conservation Area, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.
All these moths were caught in fruit traps.

Help with narrowing down at least one of these would be massively appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• G3.jpg
    G3.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 6
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 6
  • H6.jpg
    H6.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 7
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 8
  • G6.jpg
    G6.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 8
  • G4.jpg
    G4.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 8
  • G5.jpg
    G5.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi Kaps. I am out my office this morning but will be back in front of my references this arvo. I will look through my copies of MoB when I get the chance, the majority are Geo's of some description which will make species ID tricky as there are many similar ones that probably need dissection to confirm but I will see what I can do. Photos F5 and H6 are I think Coptobasis (Crambhidae, Spilomelinae) species but not sure which - most likely an undescribed species

G5 I would agree looks like Hypomecis cineracea but I am not sure that G3 is, looks to dark, all the cineracea photos I have seen are a much softer grey plus the pattern on the costa is not right. Agree that it is most likely a Hypomecis and may be in the coneracea complex (according to MoB at time of publication work was being done on this species and I am not sure what the current thoughts are about its stagtus - ie is it one species or a complex)

F2 is an Erebidae. Looks like something in the Ericeia inangulata (Erebidae, Erebinae, Hulodini) clade of species. I get inangulata here in Aus quite regularly and this is close to some of my individuals, that said the whole genus is tricky and many are morpho species that require dissection

F5 and H6 are these the same individuals and did you find it dead? Its not sitting correctly for Coptobasis but it does look like that genus to me

Hi Kaps. I am out my office this morning but will be back in front of my references this arvo. I will look through my copies of MoB when I get the chance, the majority are Geo's of some description which will make species ID tricky as there are many similar ones that probably need dissection to confirm but I will see what I can do. Photos F5 and H6 are I think Coptobasis (Crambhidae, Spilomelinae) species but not sure which - most likely an undescribed species
Hi Atropos, thank you so much for your response!

I've since managed to ID photo G4 as Borbacha pardaria, G6 possibly as Parasynegia sundastriaria, and F2 as Ericeia fraterna, although some of the species are hard to distinguish from others in their genus. I am still unsure about G3 and G5.

I also seemed to come across quite a few moths at Danum that looked similar or identical to F5, I have attached them in case you were interested. Coptobasis does seem very likely, e.g. Coptobasis ridepalis perhaps? Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• H4.jpg
    H4.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 1
  • H3.jpg
    H3.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 2
  • H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F8.jpg
    F8.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 2
  • F7.jpg
    F7.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 1
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 2
  • F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 2
  • H7.jpg
    H7.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 1
Oops, didn't realise I forgot to send the previous message until now. Glad to see I was on the right track for G6. I'm still searching for a match with G3, I agree the colours aren't quite right. And F5 and H6 are different individuals, I believe F5 is in a more natural resting position.

Hadn't realised that fraterna had been recorded away from India and Sri Lanka - looking at the records on iNat given that several have been confirmed by Roger am most certainly not going to argue with him!

H2 is different but the rest, particularly the ones at rest with the wings curved are typical for Bocana. None of the Bocana show this pale area on the apex of the wing so I think it is either an undescribed species (highly possible) or an allied genera. Will have a quick look through the relevant MoB volume when I get back home shortly

Thank you so much! Bocana seems right on. Not sure why I seemed to find so many moths of this particular genus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back