• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rusty Blackbird Decline Theory (1 Viewer)

carjug

Rusty Blackbirds are becoming scarce. I have a theory about this, I think it has something to do with genetically modified grain.
Blackbirds like grain fields. If there is anything toxic in GMO crops, it will show up in blackbirds, just like DDT showed up in Robins that ate earthworms contaminated with the stuff.
So.... Is there any link between the Rusty decline and GMO crops? It is a perfect question for hobby birdwatchers to keep in mind. or better yet, band some birds that have been feeding on GMO fields.
Get the picture?
carjug

I don't like, or at least feel uncomfortable with GMO crops but as far as I am aware the plants/grain themselves don't have any inherent toxicity. This could only come from any treatments during the grain storage or growing period. Whether GMO crops require more or less treatment than genetically "friendly" crops I don't know but I would suppose that they may often require less treatment as they are bred/modified to be more disease and pest resistant.

What really bothers me is the prospect of them crossing with wild plants or old varieties of food plants and maybe changing their natural genetics for good (bad).

You may well be right that Rusty Blackbird's decline has to do with agricultural changes, just cannot see why GMO crops would be a direct cause - though I could be wildly wrong!

Why would Rusty Blackbirds be affected by GM crops, but not Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and European Starlings which feed in greater numbers on these crops than Rusty Blackbird? Brewer's Blackbird has not seen a similar decline, either.

Carlos

Simon Wates;2388055. said:
Whether GMO crops require more or less treatment than genetically "friendly" crops I don't know but I would suppose that they may often require less treatment as they are bred/modified to be more disease and pest resistant.

One modification makes plants resistant to a herbicide - Monsanto's "Round-up". The crop can then be weeded chemically rather than mechanically.

One modification makes plants resistant to a herbicide - Monsanto's "Round-up". The crop can then be weeded chemically rather than mechanically.

I understand that Monsanto's "Round-up" works by inducing drought symptoms in plants and is not toxic per-Se. I thought the RSPB have used this product in reedbed control. I'm not condoning its use though!

Why would Rusty Blackbirds be affected by GM crops, but not Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and European Starlings which feed in greater numbers on these crops than Rusty Blackbird? Brewer's Blackbird has not seen a similar decline, either.

Carlos

I came here to post pretty much this. While Rusty Blackbirds do join the giant migration/winter blackbird flocks, IIRC they prefer to spend the winter in more wooded/swampy areas than the other species involved. I would expect any problem caused by GMO crops to be much more insidious and widespread than simply knocking out one species while its close relatives thrive. DDT didn't only affect Bald Eagles; pretty much anything at the top of the wetland food chain was affected. To this day California Condors living near the coast suffer from DDT exposure because they eat dead seals that ate fish that lived in contaminated waters.

One thing I have been suspicious about is the fact that said blackbird flocks are specified as an exemption to the migratory bird protection laws, so farmers and government agencies can (and do) poison them any time they feel they are becoming pests. Last year the Rusty Blackbird was removed from the list of killable species, but I'm not sure how they plan to enforce that. It still begs the question of why the other blackbird species aren't declining, but there's no reason to assume some as-yet undiscovered indirect connection to GMO crops when we are actively poisoning the birds themselves.

While Rusty Blackbirds do join the giant migration/winter blackbird flocks, IIRC they prefer to spend the winter in more wooded/swampy areas than the other species involved. I would expect any problem caused by GMO crops to be much more insidious and widespread than simply knocking out one species while its close relatives thrive.

In my miniscule experience with Rusty Blackbirds, they tend to winter in medium-sized flocks in swampy, forested areas -- cypress swamps, bottomland forest, etc. I am not sure of their behavior during migration or outside of the southeast. The more common blackbirds, on the other hand, do feed in large numbers in agricultural fields.

Now as to GM crops being insidious, I am on the same page as you.

Carlos

GM crops affecting them in some sort of toxic way is incredibly unlikely - GM crops aren't really different from the rest of our crops (which have been gentically modified, just gradually over thousands of years through different methods) other than then their history. You can object to specific GM crops, or the way that they are used (e.g. Monsanto has done some pretty shady stuff with their patents), but objecting to GM crops just because they're genetically modified is pretty much nonsense.

As for Roundup, it isn't perfect, but it's just about the best herbicide we have, with low toxicity and it degrades quickly.

Have seen Rusty's this year in numbers far beyond past data for specific area.
Agricultural endeavors have been curtailed a bit but are still ongoing and extensive. Mitagation efforts to return much of area to original wetland state have been underway for last 10 years, have made much headway with much still to be done. To my knowledge, no GM seed is being planted by ag. ops. So in my mind, habitat loss is very large factor regarding RBB's. Where choice areas exist, Rusty's jump in prolific numbers to exploit. In addition to having prime resting area in mississippi corridor, record flooding in areas south last year in flyway opened up habitat for Rusty's while temporarily curtailing traditional intensive cultivation of crop. Will be interesting to follow trend in next few years to perhaps lend credibility to notion of cause/effect of floods, inability to mantain commercial aggriculture and the sudden, extremely localized increase in numbers of Rusty's. Have several photogrphs of flocks of upwards and maybe beyond 1000 Rusty's. Never seen in such extensive numbers. Feel 2011 lower mississippi valley floods and overall impact in focused and localized manner is in large part responsible. Wont dispute impact of GM seed, pesticides. Will never dismiss the belief that drop in numbers is because of multi-faceted assualt with habitat loss at fore-front.

objecting to GM crops just because they're genetically modified is pretty much nonsense

Mmm...I personally don't feel entirely comfortable with GM crops and why I cannot say - maybe time will tell? I am aware that with genetics in food, going the way it is it may become a necessity - but is it a dangerous road? I'm sure this has all been asked and GM research has covered safety and any other possible consequences. What worries me is that in the past new advances have proven less wise than originally thought and even brought disaster.

Ultimately I don't believe that mega production using extensive agriculture should really be our ultimate aim. I think we should be producing food much much close to home - and globally - and avoid as much as possible of that mega transport operation that's going on 24hrs/365 days a year.

In the meantime I'll be a sort of forced into it hypocrite!

From what I've heard from fellow birders, these birds have really increased recently (past 3ish months).

Haven't seen one myself and probably never will since its a vagrant here, so I believe all of your eyewitness accounts :eat:.

Here's complaint heard regarding GM seed... With non-GM plantage, crop is harvested and a portion is devoted as seed stock for next growing season. Can not be done with some GM aggri products. Required to purchase more seed each growing season. Cost are alledged to be offset by increased yield because of robust strain of genes incorporated. Rusty's I had in front of me today cared not in the least for residual corn, 3mm leaf hoppers, chironomids, and water striders were the fare.

Last edited:
Here's complaint heard regarding GM seed... With non-GM plantage, crop is harvested and a portion is devoted as seed stock for next growing season. Can not be done with some GM aggri products. Required to purchase more seed each growing season. Cost are alledged to be offset by increased yield because of robust strain of genes incorporated.

That's how Monsanto and similar companies protect their patented seed - it's not an inherent problem with GM foods.

Rusty blackbirds have declined by an incredible amount over several decades - anecdotal evidence of larger numbers this year means little unless we can back it up with numbers over several years.

That's how Monsanto and similar companies protect their patented seed - it's not an inherent problem with GM foods.

Rusty blackbirds have declined by an incredible amount over several decades - anecdotal evidence of larger numbers this year means little unless we can back it up with numbers over several years.

Beyond that inherent patent protection, feel largest threats arent from gene splicing
but things like massive amounts of high-fructose corn sugars in our diets nowdays.

Agree on ancedotal evidence on increase of Rusty's. Im one that stated exactly that. Of a very specific nature and location. Reading through NOAA future projections for snow cover and water levels in mississippi valley, data isnt optimistic. Looking forward to next few years with not just interest, but with great trepidation and fear also.

You know, the habitat destruction theory sounds a lot more plausable than the GMO theory; but both may be wrong. I would love to know what the problem is.
We have flocks of about 300 individuals winter in my area, and I haven't seen anything notable in two years. No excessive competition, no predation, nothing. Maybe starlings are edging them out? I dunno. I think the decline stems from something that occurs during summertime.
Keep your eyes open....
carjug

It would be wonderful if Rusty Blackbirds actually were doing better in some areas because the species has been headed towards extinction for several years now. Here is a link that discusses several possible explanations:
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/scie...s/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-rusty-blackbird

In all likelihood, there are probably many factors that are negatively affecting Rusty Blackbirds but the conversion of bottomland forest to fields of soybeans must be one of the biggest.

It would be wonderful if Rusty Blackbirds actually were doing better in some areas because the species has been headed towards extinction for several years now. Here is a link that discusses several possible explanations:
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/scie...s/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-rusty-blackbird

In all likelihood, there are probably many factors that are negatively affecting Rusty Blackbirds but the conversion of bottomland forest to fields of soybeans must be one of the biggest.

Are the questions that comes to mind here Patrick. Seeing unprecedented numbers this winter and heading into spring. Just dont know if numbers have increased locally, or birds south have been displaced. Consider birds to transient, in that wintering grounds are normally about a 3 hour drive south of here. Those same areas have rice cultivations that have been and are being drained for mostly corn for ethanol production, but some soybeans also. Dont generally see starlings in direct competition with Rusty's, as starling's tend feed in emergent zones of wetlands rather than wading directly as Rusty's do. Do agree that dilemma is complex and has many inter-woven issues that conspire together in an insidious manner.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back