• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy ducks in St James Park (1 Viewer)

Alex64

Often wrong
I've been trying to do some searching on this and have come up with contradictory answers. My questions is:

Are the ruddy ducks in St James Park part of the collection or are they feral (Cat C) birds?

I've seem someone mention they are part of the collection but they are reported on the WeBS count every year where many of the collection aren't. Also, I've seen many people mention that they are feral but I would have thought feral birds in such an obvious location would have been culled by now.

There are so many different waterfowl species in St. James' Park it's best to assume they are all in the collection. It saves a lot of headscratching. BTW 'Feral' only relates to animals living in the wild that have been domesticated. Manky Mallard, Farmyard Geese, town Pigeons, "Wild" Boar, feral Cats ( ! ) are 'feral'. Those that have escaped / been introduced, from collections, into the wild, such as Ruddy Duck, Ring-necked Parakeet, Common Pheasant etc., are escapes / introductions.

There are so many different waterfowl species in St. James' Park it's best to assume they are all in the collection. It saves a lot of headscratching. BTW 'Feral' only relates to animals living in the wild that have been domesticated. Manky Mallard, Farmyard Geese, town Pigeons, "Wild" Boar, feral Cats ( ! ) are 'feral'. Those that have escaped / been introduced, from collections, into the wild, such as Ruddy Duck, Ring-necked Parakeet, Common Pheasant etc., are escapes / introductions.
That was pretty much was what I was expecting - shame as it would have been a really easy addition to my BOU list - I suppose some things are just too good to be true.

P.s. thanks for the clarification ;) !

That was pretty much was what I was expecting - shame as it would have been a really easy addition to my BOU list - I suppose some things are just too good to be true.

P.s. thanks for the clarification ;) !

At £1000/duck, the Defra cull team would have been in by now if there was any chance!

One would guess that Ruddy Duck will be on C6 very soon..

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back