• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Optics (1 Viewer)

I'm using a pair of the Fine grades 10x42 roof prisms and quite happy with them. The High grades are optically better but very heavy.

I recently purchased the RSPB 8 x 32 BG PC binoculars and I am very happy with them. They are compact, lightweight and very good optically. I usually wear glasses while using binoculars and was concerned that I might have a problem with 8 x 32s (having previously been used to 8X42s). However, the eye relief is good with the eye cups twisted down and I have no problem seeing the whole field of view. Oddly enough I had more of a problem (with blackouts) when I tried the RSPB 8x42s.

I would also add that I tried out the RSPB 8x32 in direct comparison with the Leica trinovid 8 x 32 and Swarovski EL 8 x 32. I could not see any difference between the Leica and the RSPB binocular. The Swarovski was better than the RSPB, but only slightly and certainly not £600 better!

Last edited:
They seem to be aimed at the mid range Opticron market. I've tried the Opticron imagic and bga's, which where excellent especially close focus of 2 metres. I haven't yet been able to do a direct comparison.
Anyone done this?

ghostrider said:
They seem to be aimed at the mid range Opticron market. I've tried the Opticron imagic and bga's, which where excellent especially close focus of 2 metres. I haven't yet been able to do a direct comparison.
Anyone done this?

similar if memory serves, not sure where you can try the two side by side up your way. I'm a big fan of in-focus' Delta 7x36.

Tried out a RSPB badged scope whilst walking in the Yorkshire Dales. Unknown to me beforehand a viewpoint had been set up at the base of Malham Cove. One of the volunteers/guides had a large RSPB scope set up amongst the usual Swarovski's, Leica's, Zeiss and Nikons. Surprisingly the scope held its own and the only disadvantage to it seemed to be size. I suspect this is also the case with their binoculars. Very good optically but not the latest cutting edge design. At the prices they sell for they look to be good value for money.

ghostrider said:
Anyone done this?

I measured a pair of rspb 8x32 new range at 1m 30cm as the close focus.

Capercaillie71 said:
I would also add that I tried out the RSPB 8x32 in direct comparison with the Leica trinovid 8 x 32 and Swarovski EL 8 x 32. I could not see any difference between the Leica and the RSPB binocular. The Swarovski was better than the RSPB, but only slightly and certainly not £600 better!

I'd agree that the RSPB 8x32's are very good bins, however I'm amazed tohear that you couldn't see any difference between them and the Leicas, I can only assume it was very good viewing conditions. My wife uses the RSPB 8x32s and I have a pair of 8x32 Leica BNs, I have tested them side by side on many occassions and the Leicas have a clear edge.

I have also owned the 8x42 RSPB HGs and thought these were very good, though a bit heavy. The only real problem with them is the dipoter adjustment which is very easily knocked when focusing. A friend who has a pair foudn this and in time the diopter adjustment became very free moving and would move with the focus wheel (without him touching the dipoter itself). It should be said that they were repaier quickly under warranty, but it still seems like a weak point of the design.

ikw101 said:
One of the volunteers/guides had a large RSPB scope set up amongst the usual Swarovski's, Leica's, Zeiss and Nikons. Surprisingly the scope held its own and the only disadvantage to it seemed to be size. I suspect this is also the case with their binoculars.

I don't think the RSPB binoculars are significantly larger than the more expensive competitors. They are certainly lighter:

RSPB BG PC 8 x 32 - 524g (125mm x 131mm)
Leica Trinovid 8 x 32 - 625g (112mm x 120mm)
Swarovski EL 8 x 32 - 610g (138mm x 114mm)

postcardcv said:
I'd agree that the RSPB 8x32's are very good bins, however I'm amazed tohear that you couldn't see any difference between them and the Leicas, I can only assume it was very good viewing conditions. My wife uses the RSPB 8x32s and I have a pair of 8x32 Leica BNs, I have tested them side by side on many occassions and the Leicas have a clear edge.

I tried them both in reasonably bright conditions but nothing out of the ordinary. I sometimes wonder if the quality of your eyesight affects the benefits you might get from more expensive optics.

The bottom line is that I was prepared to pay £800-£900 for a pair of binoculars, but after trying the £300 RSPBs, I felt it would have been a waste of money.

I tried most of the models in their range at a demo day at an RSPB reserve. I didn't try them against top of the range stuff like Nikon, Leica etc, but overall they all seemed to perform well in the £100-£300 price range. Not being a "serious" birdwatcher, I plumped for a pair of 8x40 porros - very good value at £109 (I prefer porros to roofs). I also tried their £300+ BG.PCs which compaired very favorably with my girlfriend's Minox BLs - the RSPBs might even have the edge!

Capercaillie71 said:
IThe bottom line is that I was prepared to pay £800-£900 for a pair of binoculars, but after trying the £300 RSPBs, I felt it would have been a waste of money.

I totally understand this and think it's a very vaild arguement. The difference between a £300 and a £900 pair of bins is not huge, especially when not comparing side by side. I normally use Leica or Nikon bins, but can happily do a days birding with my wife's RSPB 8x32s. The quality of bins in the £200-300 range is improving all the time, you certainly get more for your money with them.

postcardcv said:
I totally understand this and think it's a very vaild arguement. The difference between a £300 and a £900 pair of bins is not huge, especially when not comparing side by side. I normally use Leica or Nikon bins, but can happily do a days birding with my wife's RSPB 8x32s. The quality of bins in the £200-300 range is improving all the time, you certainly get more for your money with them.

I agree. Although i suppose the expensive ones come into their own in bad light conditions. I was in the Infocus shop at Martin Mere with a friend who was trying out the Nikon HG's and Zeiss and top of the range Opticron which were all excellent. We then spent the afternoon on the reserve. On this particular day i was using my wifes Opticron imagic bins, as my Opticron HR10x42 porros are being repaired. I've always thought that mine where good and refrained from trying to use my wife's, saying i prefered mine. How wrong i was! As the day went on i was more and more impressed with them, depth of field, field of view were superb and so comfortable to use. Having looked through the expensive ones at the start of the day i was thinking there isn't a huge amount of difference. The close focus is excellent, the dioptre setting didn't need constantly resetting and they didn't steam up in the heated hide. I came home thinking i don't need to pay a fortune for a really good pair of bins.
Unfortunately, Iv'e now got to tell my wife that she was right! And i want a pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back