• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough Legged Buzzard (1 Viewer)

Yashca

I know that the Rough-Legged Buzzard has been a long stayer around the Cement Works at South Ferriby, and I've got an opportunity to see it on Saturday.

I hadn't gone to see it before because I'm new to birding anyway, and I still haven't yet developed the skills required to spot birds of prey with any regularly.

But I am spending this week at the extreme south of East Yorkshire, so it wouldn't be to much of a jump for me to go have a look around.

Just wondered if anyone could give me any advice about finding it. I know it is near the cement works, but it looks a pretty big site and I don't know it at all. Just wondered if there is a specific spot (or a few!) or specific times it can be seen. I really don't know the area at all, so the more detailed advice you can give me, the better!

Also, I heard that a pair of Long-Tailed Ducks has been seen at Barton Clay Pits. I've never been there either, how big is the site? How many pools? I haven't been able to find a map or anything, and I'm wondering how easy they will be to find.

Thanks for any advice any one can give me - it could result in two new lifers for me!

not a lot of help but the Rough-legged Buzzard was on fence just West of cement works this was on the 12 feb.
as to
Barton Clay Pits they are almost under the humber bridge and very close to farr ings and along the same road .
hope that hepls a little.
Rob.

Hi Yashca
Rough-legged Buzzard still just west of cement works yesterday.
As for Barton pits you need to go from Barton Train station along butts road
left when you reach the cross road follow this road to the T junction and left again across the level crossing and follow to the sailing club past the fishing lakes
both LT Duck also still present yesterday
Regards Rich

Thanks for the advice you two. My car was in for its MOT on Friday, which it failed, so I had to spend Saturday morning getting it sorted. However, as soon as the car was fixed I was off. Got to the Cement Works at about 1.30pm, spent ten minutes aimlessly scanning the west fence, before spotting it hovering in the distance. Watched it for another 10 minutes or so, until it flew back and landed on the west fence. Absolutely fantastic.

Went to try and find the clay pits, and accidently ended up at a place called Waters Edge. I asked the person at the visitors center, and he said that the clay pits and Waters Edge were one and the same thing, and gave me a map.

I left the visitors center, and immediatly noticed an unfamiliar little bird stood on a fence post. I got a good view of it, made a few notes about appearance, and started searching through my bird book. The bird just hopped from post to post and never went out of sight. I eventually identified it as a female Stonechat, completely new for me so I was very pleased.

I then walked around the site hoping to spot the long-tailed ducks on one of the ponds. However, after walking around the entire site, I'd had no luck. I then spotted another birdwatcher who had been watching Lesser, Mealy, and a possible Arctic Redpoll. Unfortunately they had disappeared from view whilst I was there, I've never knowingly seen a Mealy, and an Arctic would have been wonderful.

Anyway, she informed me that the man at the visitors center had misinformed me, and that there were loads more pools further along outside of the boundaries of the map the man had given me.

Unfortunately the light was starting to fade, so I headed home. I am, however, going to give the long-tailed ducks another shot on Wednesday or Thursday of this week - if they are still there.

If anyone can confirm if they are still there or have gone, keep me posted.

Thanks again for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back