• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rosefinch or House Finch Tunbridge Wells (1 Viewer)

tittletattler

Hi all,

Is this a Rosefinch or a House Finch? The primaries look a little short perhaps. And should the tail look like that......?

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• Finch.jpg
    Finch.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 827
  • finch2.jpg
    finch2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 607
If the impression of heavy streaks on the flanks is correct, then looks OK for HF on first glance.

I'll not be bothering though!

cheers, a

Kent - where east meets west!

All the best

Nothing new in that, had American Wigeon and Marsh Sandpiper in the same scope view at Elmley years ago. Golden-winged Warbler and Waxwing in the same car park at Larkfield also springs to mind; Oriental Pratincole and Wilson's Phalarope (Elmley again) Crossroads of the world is Kent!

Post your Kent East-West doubles here....

John

Nothing new in that, had American Wigeon and Marsh Sandpiper in the same scope view at Elmley years ago. Golden-winged Warbler and Waxwing in the same car park at Larkfield also springs to mind; Oriental Pratincole and Wilson's Phalarope (Elmley again) Crossroads of the world is Kent!

Post your Kent East-West doubles here....

John

aren't Golden-winged Warbler and (Bo) Waxwing both from America John? ;)

As in no doubt it is an escape? (I accept it probably is one).

Can't see any bling though (I don't think). Doesnt make it a wild bird of course.
You don´t need to see any bling. It´s enough to know that young House Finches don´t migrate at this age / feather status. This bird is not older then 3 -4 month. I doubt that anywhere on this planet House Finches did breed between October/November and that a single juv. of them will migrate to the UK afterwards.

Ref. blings:
It´s not allowed to set pet birds free in your country and also not in mine.
Bird bands for captive birds does, as a general rule, have the following informations: Association, nation> federal state >regional club> breeders number> sequential number, year and ring size.
It´s very easy to trace the owner of an "escapee" when calling the right contact person. Though it would not proof if the bird is a real escapee or set free willingly by the bird owner.
I don´t breed them any longer in wild colour, you have only problems to sell them.

Regards,
Roman

You say "This bird is not older then 3 -4 month. I doubt that anywhere on this planet House Finches did breed between October/November and that a single juv. of them will migrate to the UK afterwards."

Why is it not more than 3/4 months old - I reckon it's an adult female? If there is nowhere on the planet House Finches breed at that time of year it's rather unlikely to be just a few months old, surely?

Can anybody suggest aging, with reason?

I live nearby and saw it yesterday and can confirm it's not ringed.

Why is it not more than 3/4 months old - I reckon it's an adult female? If there is nowhere on the planet House Finches breed at that time of year it's rather unlikely to be just a few months old, surely?

Presumably the writer means it was hatched in captivity.

Steve

I had a brief excitement on 17th Oct 2001... when I had an apparent Rosefinch on my bird table. Sadly it was a Housefinch - apparently an unringed juv.....attributable to storm damage at Chester Zoo where there was an aviary with free flying Housefinches! Still not had a Rosefinch :(

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back