• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robert Gillmor (bird artist and illustrator) obituary (1 Viewer)

I have a couple of New Naturalist titles which are signed by him, illustrating some of the covers for this for this highly collectible series is something for which he was also well known.

I used to keep the covers he did for the RSPB ‘Birds’ magazine as i liked his distinct style of illustration. When he got the gig for the New Naturalist i thought it a good follow on from Cyril and Rosemary Ellis whose distinct covers i thought a unique style. I have all the NN covers in half-size A4 which i have managed to download as images and often flick through them noting the transition from C n RE to Gillmor. I have a feeling that i bumped into him down the ‘Cressa mid-80’s when many bird illustrators came to check out the Scilly season and flog some of their work - i have some Grant and Millington myself.....

The Birdguides obituary is a good read and i attach a stunning image of a Bluethroat on Blakeney Point - why? Because i spent the 2 happiest Summers of my life (‘81 and ‘83) as a 20-something living in those buildings (The Lifeboat Station) to the right. Going to bed and waking up to 4k pairs of Sandwich Terns their young and associated Gulls and Waders was a cacophony that i never tired of. #RIPRG

Laurie -

Attachments

• AF86CA87-90A7-4F75-88F6-B9B0CC1C8795.jpeg
    AF86CA87-90A7-4F75-88F6-B9B0CC1C8795.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 21
I used to keep the covers he did for the RSPB ‘Birds’ magazine as i liked his distinct style of illustration. When he got the gig for the New Naturalist i thought it a good follow on from Cyril and Rosemary Ellis whose distinct covers i thought a unique style. I have all the NN covers in half-size A4 which i have managed to download as images and often flick through them noting the transition from C n RE to Gillmor. I have a feeling that i bumped into him down the ‘Cressa mid-80’s when many bird illustrators came to check out the Scilly season and flog some of their work - i have some Grant and Millington myself.....

The Birdguides obituary is a good read and i attach a stunning image of a Bluethroat on Blakeney Point - why? Because i spent the 2 happiest Summers of my life (‘81 and ‘83) as a 20-something living in those buildings (The Lifeboat Station) to the right. Going to bed and waking up to 4k pairs of Sandwich Terns their young and associated Gulls and Waders was a cacophony that i never tired of. #RIPRG

Laurie -
I immediately recognised that as part of the cover of a book, 'The birds of Blakeny Point'.

Must give it a read Andy - i could maybe fill in one or two details and they could enlighten me as to where the clutch of eggs from the first recorded nest of Kentish Plover went? Ostensibly it was the Castle Museum, Norwich but they haven’t answered my enquiry ;-)

Good birding -

Laurie -

I've often read that Robert Gillmor has contributed to Birds of the Western Palearctic by Stanley Cramp. Which tables are by him?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back