• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

River Amazon (1 Viewer)

During March I will be cruising the Amazon from Manaus all the way back to Florida. About 5 or 6 days will be spent on the Amazon river and wondered if anyone could recommend a suitable bird book to buy so I could identify the birds spotted along the river. We have also booked a couple of trips into the jungle.
Thanks

I'd recommend Birds of Northern South America based on what I heard, since I don't have it myself. There are two volumes: No. 1 has more informations than No. 2, but a bigger size on hte other hand. No. 2 is much more condesed and smaller, with drawings and maps, nothing else.

There is a new field guide by Sigrist covering Amazon region being produced, but no predictions on when it will be released, as far as I know.

I'd wait for someone to give you better suggestions, especilly more details about hte first book, but I hope this helps.

There is a new field guide by Sigrist covering Amazon region being produced, but no predictions on when it will be released, as far as I know.

Just received an e-mail from Avis Brasilis, and it is expected to be released in September. The book is available for pre-order here http://www.avisbrasilis.com.br/home.asp (in Portuguese), but only for people in Brazil, it seems.

It's called "Aves da Amazônia Brasileira" (Birds of Brazilian Amazon).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back