• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

River adur....kingfisher? (1 Viewer)

ollie jay

Hi all

I live quite local to the river adur and often take walks up there....mainly starting at cuckoos and walking up. I often sit in the car and watch various birds using the feeders by the car park and have seen green finches, great tits, blue tits, bull finch, chaffinch, Jays And a couple of great spotted wood peckers. But whilst taking a few shots with my camera someone said there was a kingfisher that uses this area most years around September time.....To be honest iv not seen it yet but was wondering if anyone else has an idea of the best place to find one up there?....its a beautiful bird that i really want to see and any advice would be great.

Many thanks in advance and i look forward to your replies.

Ollie.

What feeders and what car park are you referring to? I don't know the area that well but I've certainly seen Kingfishers at Arundel.

What feeders and what car park are you referring to? I don't know the area that well but I've certainly seen Kingfishers at Arundel.

Hi

The feeders are by the car park which is up near combes on the side of the river in an area called cuckoos corner....the feeders have been there for years and have quite a few regular visitors....mostly chaffinches but did see a great spotted woodpecker on one today.

Have seen a few kingfishers at arundel wetlands but at some distance that my camera could not reach....i only have a 200mm lens. would love to know where abouts on the rivers either the arun or adur i could witness kingfishers in there natural environment.

Thanks for your quick reply....i wasnt expected on so soon :t:

Hi Ollie

I've often seen Kingfishers on the boat hire mooring ropes beside the bridge at Arundel.

D

Welcome to Birdforum Ollie from another Sussex birder. There should be loads of places in around the Arun and the Adur for kingfishers. I don't know either river that well (I'm in East Sussex). They like stillish water, not running too fast. I've seen kingfishers recently at Pulborough Brooks, admittedly not very close though. Burton Mill Pond is another good place for them, saw a whole family there in the summer.

Joanne

Hi Ollie

I've often seen Kingfishers on the boat hire mooring ropes beside the bridge at Arundel.

D

Hi Delia

Thanks for this suggestion....i think i know where you on about.....i will have to make time to go over that way as the last time i went over i did notice quite a few bits over hanging the water further up river but didn't see any sign of a kingfisher....but I think iv heard in the past that the boat moorings have produced some good sightings over the years.....a place to jot down for the near future i feel.

Thanks again, Ollie.

Welcome to Birdforum Ollie from another Sussex birder. There should be loads of places in around the Arun and the Adur for kingfishers. I don't know either river that well (I'm in East Sussex). They like stillish water, not running too fast. I've seen kingfishers recently at Pulborough Brooks, admittedly not very close though. Burton Mill Pond is another good place for them, saw a whole family there in the summer.

Joanne

Hi Joanne

Thanks for the welcome......lol you may notice that i joined last year though...but lost Internet connection and took a few months out and forgot about this site until i received an email the other day! glad i did receive that email though as its a great site and as you can see from this thread i started today...there's always people out there to help :t:

I think the main problem is that i live right down by the sea and the areas iv been looking are quite tidal so maybe like you say the stiller water inland might be the best place to start...(will have to put in a few more miles in my car) lol. Yep i know of pulborough brooks...been there a couple of times but personally i only go with a camera and no scope and found alot was at distance....maybe have to save some money and purchase a spotting scope or longer lens for there. Never been to burton pond though....this sounds like a nice place so i'll have to do a search and find out more.....thanks for the advice Joanne

Ollie.

Hi Joanne

Thanks for the welcome......lol you may notice that i joined last year though...but lost Internet connection and took a few months out and forgot about this site until i received an email the other day! glad i did receive that email though as its a great site and as you can see from this thread i started today...there's always people out there to help :t:
Ollie.

LOL. I noticed you had only made 4 posts so assumed you were new. After I had posted I noticed that you joined a year ago....anyway glad you found your way back. Kingfishers are actually pretty common in Sussex but more common inland, so I'm sure you will find some to photograph. You could also try the Chichester gravel pits if they're not too far from you. Good luck!

Joanne

Hi Ollie

Try Shoreham Old Fort.I have seen Kingfishers fishing from the inner arms of the harbour entrance here.

Mark

Thanks again Joanne. Never thought of chichester gravel pits and to be honest im not quite sure where they are so will have to google them ansd find out! im only in worthing so its not to far away.....and im sure there's plenty of other wildlife in there to keep me busy for a day. Thanks for the advice again.

Hi Mark, Shoreham old fort sounds very good to me! cant say i have noticed them along there but i would presume if there gonna go anywhere along that stretch then it would probably be the sectioned off area? or do they fish from the east and west arm inner side walls?. Will definitely keep an eye open for them down there from now on though....cheers for the advice mate.

Ollie.

Hi all

I live quite local to the river adur and often take walks up there....mainly starting at cuckoos and walking up. But whilst taking a few shots with my camera someone said there was a kingfisher that uses this area most years around September time.....To be honest iv not seen it yet but was wondering if anyone else has an idea of the best place to find one up there?....

Ollie.

Hi Ollie

If you continue up past Cuckoo corner along the west bank towards the cement works, you stand a good chance to spot them flying backwards and forwards across the river (just below the cement works), they often perch on the overhanging branches on the row of trees below the cement works: but also keep your eye over the fields and ditches.

Gravel Pits: Unfortunately, degraded habitat over the past few years (heavy fishing/litter/speed boats/dog walkers etc) have made Kingfisher difficult to see here, so probably not worth the special visit IMO.

Any of the coastal estuaries are a good bet:

Cuckmere Valley: Walk down from the Golden Galleon on the West bank - There's a regular Kingfishers skimming up and down the channels right down to beach - I had 3 a few weeks back all within a few minutues - keep your eyes over the fields as you will often see them skimming low across the meadows

Pagham: Walk down from Siddlesham Visitors Centre towards Church Norton: Again, as above and keep your eyes along the ditches in the fields to your right.

Get into the habit of checking along and up any narrow channels and over fields in any of these areas and you'll be successful no doubt. Easiest not to search with Binos but with naked eye as they move fast but once you track and watch them for a while you will notice a pattern in their movements and find a favorite perch. That's when to get the camera out!

No particular times necessary, they are actively fishing most of the day. Kingfishers are easiest to spot in flight (look low!) showing an electric blue back. Stationary, they are not so easy but if you do spot one on a perch, keep quiet and still and you'll have plenty of time to get some shots as they can perch motionless for some time and will remain in vicinity.

Good luck!

Ps: If you live in Worthing a best local bet is Broadwater - I've often seen Kingfisher there including Little Egret various warblers and some interesting ducks - worth popping down there several times a week if it's very near you just to check out whats about.

Last edited:
Hi Deborah

Some great info there also.....will try up there by the cement works next few times i go up the river.....i think i know where you mean so should find them trees over hanging ok. Seems to be a fare few places that could produce a kingfisher sightings around my area and cant believe i haven't really seen that many. Will definitely have to keep the named places in mind as this is one bird i really like the look of and would love to get some idea of how they go day by day.....and with the bonus of getting some nice shots also.

One question i have for you though is where abouts in broardwater? I do live in worthing but don't recall off the top of my head where your thinking of? many thanks again and hopefully one day soon all this help i have had will get me what im looking for.

Ollie.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back