• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ringtail harrier, transilvania (1 Viewer)

Hi Lou
You're right. The image shows a perfect adult female Montague's. Facial pattern, secondary pattern, axillars etc gives you all you need to know.

/Magnus

Edit:
Sorry, I just realized you needed a better argumentation. There are actually lots of reasons to choose from, but some easy pointers are mentioned above. The bird has a lot of white surrounding the eye, lacks the contrasting pattern with pale collar/blackish nape, the secondaries are basically white with blackish barring and the axillares shows a coarse pattern with large white/red markings. Pallid Harriers more or less never shows anything close to this. Let alone the combination...

Last edited:
If I'd seen this bird this well, I'd have called it Montague's. No distinct pale collar, secondaries without 'shadowing' and with broad pale subterminal band.

Hi lou,

I really don't, but I suppose it will be easy to search it...
BTW, the pic was taken in May 2007.
Do you have Szilard's opinion about this bird?

Last edited:
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/Romania/East/Harghita/photo194564.htm

some romanian birders have insisted this was a pallid harrier. i see a montague's. what's your view? and why, please.

Harriers can be difficult. But this one isn't.

There's a whole list of reasons why this is an adult Montagu's Harrier.

• No collar
  • Dense streaking on the underparts which extends quite far down the body
  • Ink-tipped primaries
  • Deeper breast and then thinning, rakish body (but this bird is perhaps quite big bodied for a Montagu's)
  • Hand is longer than the arm (diagnostic)
  • Evenly spaced dark and pale bars on secondaries (also proves age)
  • Barred Axillaries (diagnostic)

Also have a look at the facial pattern as that may help (I've forgotten the difference and the book is all the way upstairs!)

Superb photo by the way!

Cheers,

Andy.

i'll pm you cristian,

thanks magnus, jose, biancone, mark and andy. that about sums up what i saw in this bird. thought i'd get senile...:gh:
one feature that i guess hasn't been named, is the dark trailing edge to inner primaries in this monty while adult fem. pallid has a more or less pale inner hand edge.

B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back