• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Sea watching in Kent (1 Viewer)

Perry Grin

Hi all

Can anyone advise on the best places for a productive sea watch in Kent? What times of year, weather are best?

Thanks in advance

Perry

Hi all

Can anyone advise on the best places for a productive sea watch in Kent? What times of year, weather are best?

Thanks in advance

Perry

Hi Perry,

There are many seawatching points and all will produce a very good movement of seabirds in the right conditions. In Spring Dungeness will be the best and probably the only site worthy of a visit, with smaller numbers of the same species from Copt Point or St Margarets Bay. In the Autumn the North coast comes into play and the hotspots are Shellness Point on the Isle of Sheppey, Reculver and the headland at North Foreland and Foreness Point. I must admit a passion for seawatching and have seen some really great movements over the last twenty seven years or so, it's very challenging and is an not for everyone. In August, in a good, all day movement it's possible to do a fourteen hour seawatch:eek!:

As for conditions it is to complicated to go into fully but in the Autumn a stiff wind from between North West and East should be sought after, but you can get perfect weather but no birds.

I have recently moved to Thanet about five minutes walk from Foreness Point so will be seawatching from there this year. If you come to Thanet for some seawatching in the Autumn I would be willing to meet up with you and point you in the right direction:t:

Regards,

Barry.

Thanks for the advice and offer .... next stop Dunge. And I may be in contact next autumn!

Perry

Hi Perry,

There are many seawatching points and all will produce a very good movement of seabirds in the right conditions. In Spring Dungeness will be the best and probably the only site worthy of a visit, with smaller numbers of the same species from Copt Point or St Margarets Bay. In the Autumn the North coast comes into play and the hotspots are Shellness Point on the Isle of Sheppey, Reculver and the headland at North Foreland and Foreness Point. I must admit a passion for seawatching and have seen some really great movements over the last twenty seven years or so, it's very challenging and is an not for everyone. In August, in a good, all day movement it's possible to do a fourteen hour seawatch:eek!:

As for conditions it is to complicated to go into fully but in the Autumn a stiff wind from between North West and East should be sought after, but you can get perfect weather but no birds.

I have recently moved to Thanet about five minutes walk from Foreness Point so will be seawatching from there this year. If you come to Thanet for some seawatching in the Autumn I would be willing to meet up with you and point you in the right direction:t:

Regards,

Barry.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back