• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Peru (1 Viewer)

Jaeger01

My spouse of 50 years and I are thinking of a combination birding and regular tourist thing in Peru incuding a side trip of at least at a couple of days to visit Machu Pichu to mark our 50th anniversery. Would really appreciate suggestions of where, who, what time of the year and why in this regard. Thanks,

Jaeger near Chicago

Hey there

the Cusco area (close to Macchu Picchu) is perhaps also the main tourist area of Peru and has a lot of interesting ruins even in the town, as well as close by.

the birding is fantastic in the surrounding area, from Lago Huacarpay, Sacsayhuaman, Macchu Picchu, Abra Malaga, Pisac, to the incomparable Manu Road.

Cusco has excellent accomodation for every pocket. It is also possible to get to the Amazon (Manu or Tambopata area) exceptionally easily by plane from Cusco.

there are numerous tour companies but i don't have direct experience of them.... maybe someone else will be able to help

If you want a good tour company...fits in with Tim's cusco...

Barry Walker's
http://www.manuexpeditions.com/

To be recommended...Silverio if you can get him!!

Will happily do both birding and tourist stuff....contact I'm sure they will be happy to sort.

In Cusco as I type waiting for bus to Arequipa! Went in the Crosskeys this afternoon.

Went to Machu Picchu a few weeks ago and the area was very good. The ruins were dead when we went but we still managed a few nice birds like Green and white Hummingbird and White banded Tyrannulet, but the Inca Wrens were totally invisible and silent. Think you have to go early in the morning which was impossible with our itinerary. In Aguas Calientes we had Lyre tailed Nightjar by the entrance to the hot springs at dusk and also some good birds along the railway tracks, including a mighty Cock of the Rock. Ollantaytambo was also good walking out to the left of the hillside fort.

Laguna Huacarpay just outside Cusco was excellent, and the Sacsayhuaman ruins also got us some nice birds.

We´ve just got back from a few weeks in Manu which was outrageous. I never imagined it was going to be that good! Best moment was probably finding a Tick stuck to the end of my bodily part best not mentioned in polite company. Seriously!

Anyway, must dash, got to go and see Condors....

Jaeger01 said:
My spouse of 50 years and I are thinking of a combination birding and regular tourist thing in Peru incuding a side trip of at least at a couple of days to visit Machu Pichu to mark our 50th anniversery. Would really appreciate suggestions of where, who, what time of the year and why in this regard. Thanks,

Jaeger near Chicago

Areguipa (easy to get to/from from Cusco) is a lovely little city half way up the mountains, easy to spend a day or two there doing the tourist thing, from there you can travel to Colca and the Colca Canyon and see a good number of condors (and lots of other species) and great, dramatic scenery. Definately recommended if you have time.

Just a word of thanks to all that responded. I have contacted Manu Expeditions and a couple of others and today ordered my Birds of Peru from Amazon.

Jaeger near Chicago

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back