• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Jaeger01

We are considering a trip to NZ, primarily for birding. Would like to do a free standing trip (not a tour per se'), probably for 2 or 3 weeks. We understand that NZ is a very safe country for independent travel. Anyone with thoughts along these lines, your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jaeger near Chicago

I had a very enjoyable visit to New Zealand less than a year ago. It is just about the easiest place to travel to - people speak English, standards in general are high and if looking at crime rates you've got a country that is far safer than most of the US. Also, most bird-ID's are relatively easy (ok, a few of the seabirds can be a bit more difficult) and good fieldguides exists (unlike, say, several South American countries where birding for a "Neotropical novice" is difficult and good fieldguides often don't exist). The only minus New Zealand gets in my book are the often rather high prices (only infrequently do I visit a country where the prices can compare to the Danish!). Anyway, not much to add as all main localities are well covered in books & on the net. There are many recommendable localities, but absolute "must do" on a birding trip to New Zealand is a visit to Tiritiri Matangi Is. and a pelagic trip (both are easy to arrange).

Last edited:
Nz

Hallo,

I was in NZ 3 x.
Some informations You can found
http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showproduct.php?product=760&sort=7&cat=500&page=1
http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showproduct.php?product=706&sort=7&cat=500&page=1
http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showproduct.php?product=707&sort=7&cat=500&page=1
http://www.birdforum.net/thedirectory/showproduct.php?product=708&sort=7&cat=500&page=1

Some of the highlights are very near to Auckland.
2 - 3 weeks is quite short.
Very interesting is Stewart island. There are lots of birds in the garden of the people. Bird they are very rare in other parts of NZ e.g. Kaka.
On Stewart island is the unique place where are day activ Kiwi.
It is a 5 day trek to go there an back. Alternativ is a ferry, but is not cheap.
Nearby is Ulva island, where is good chance to see Paraket very near.
The westside of south island has a very spectacular landscape ( You can lots glaciers from the beach in the summer ).
The east side has different penguin spots like Nugget Point, Moraeki Beach and Otago Penisula ( commercial ).
In Fjordland NP is a good chance for Yellow Crested Penguin.
Kakapo is only on few islands like Codfish island. The access is only for authorized people and people which works different weeks for the bird island.

Best regards
Dieter

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and information. Does anyone have suggestions on a "what to see and where guide" and a field guide (pocket size if there is one).

Jaeger near Chicago

I used The Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand by Barrie Heather and Hugh Robertson and was very pleased with it. Also, for some of the difficult seabirds I brought specific guides and papers.

Kia Ora
A good book to use as a NZ guide is "NZ birds a locality guide" by Stuart Chambers. I live in Southland and have fernbirds on my property. Stewart Island, Fiordland and the Catlins are nearby. If required I can send you detailed information to your email address.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back