• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Mammals C and N Thailand (1 Viewer)

jurek

Switzerland
I have a plan to visit Thailand: Khao Yai, Kaeng Krachan and possibly north.

Any non-trivial information about wild mammals would be appreciated, also maybe some other site in the central part of the country good for mammals.

For what it is worth, Kaeng Krachan seems like the most interesting place to go. During my stay 2 weeks ago, following species were seen (but not necessarily by me ;-) ):
Binturong (lucky I guess), Leopard (there are regular sightings), Elephant (as Leopard), Leopard Cat (even more commonly sighted), Porcupine (almost guaranteed at the lower Ban Krang campsite), Lesser mouse deer (drinking holes, check Baan Makan website for booking) and of course a large variety of squirrels.

I would concur that Kaeng Krachan was better for mammals. On top of those mentioned, had several Yellow-throated Martens on the road near the summit; Lar Gibbons, Dusky Langurs and Long-tailed Macaques in a number of places; Black Giant Squirrels and Northern TreeShrew were also common.

Khao Yai yielded Sambar, Red Muntjac and the only herd of Elephants that I saw, though there were plenty of signs of their presence at Kaeng Krachan if the very fresh piles of droppings on the road at lower elevations was anything to go by!

Hi Jurek,

Some locations of mammals from Khao Yai a month ago:

Asian Elephant - couple of sightings around the HQ to past the TAT reservoir area. They were also present (as signs) on both waterfall trails to Hiew Sewat Waterfall;
White-handed Gibbon - best views from the Waterfall Trail out the back of the concrete HQ trail;
Northern Pig tailed Macaque - common
Crab-eating Mongoose - Waterfall trail from Pha Kluay Mai (PKM) campsite - by the largest stream crossing;
Common Palm Civet - common eg round PKM campsite;
Small Indian Civet - open grasslands around reservoir area past the HQ;
Sambar and Red Muntjac - tame around campsites and HQ;
Lesser Mouse Deer - first 100m of the waterfall trail from PKM campsite pre-dawn on the trail.
Malayan Porcupine PKM campsite - but not during busy weekend time. Also in open grasslands by reservoir;
and a probable Leopard Cat - road to PKM campsite

At the moment they seem relatively relaxed regarding driving around at night, for the first couple of hours at least, before the barriers go down at the campsites and by the reservoir/staff areas. If you are staying at a campsite during the week the camp restaurant does not open so you have to drive to HQ if you want eat out. I didn't go up the Radar road at night, it sounded awful during the weekend in terms of the amount of traffic spotlighting - I witnessed the exodus from the PKM campsite of pickups with massive spot lights heading that way!

I did park my car outside the PKM campsite barrier for pre-dawn get aways, but this didn't fully work as there are barriers along the road at the other campsite and around the reservoir areas. Still I found you can be at any trail by dawn as they would lift the barrier around 6am or a bit earlier.

The Elephants were great value, always a real pleasure to see wild Elephants (so long as you're not too close :):

[As an edit given the thread posted above this one, the Ele's were viewed at a distance from a motor, be aware and keep away if on foot, don't go stalking them!]

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thank you all for the info!

I'm back. Sharing mammaling with birding was sometimes impossible and demonstrations in Bangkok made me change my plans (although I was over-cautious), but I enjoyed it.

Kaeng Krachan yielded Burmese Hare, Fea's Muntjac on the road after second camp, several groups of Lar Gibbons seen, common Dusky Langurs, a troop of Banded Langurs near the side-track marked by bird sign, several Gray Bellied and Black Giant Squirrels and a dead-only Short-tailed Gymnure.

Bird observation hide near Baan Maka lodge yielded Gray-bellied, Indochinese Ground and Himalayan Striped Squirrels as well as Northern Treeshrews. I waited there after dusk for over an hour, but nothing came.

Driving out in the evenings, between the entrance and the lower campsite we saw a herd of Gaur and several Sambar at the waterhole. One evening, a splendid black Leopard made a show wandering on the dirt stretch of the road.

Attachments

• thai5.jpg
    thai5.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 31
  • thai11.jpg
    thai11.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 37
  • thai1.JPG
    thai1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 44
  • thai9.jpg
    thai9.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 30
  • thai4.jpg
    thai4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
At Khao Yai, Pig-tailed Macaques, Variable Squirrels, Gray Bellied Squirrels and Sambars were common, and several semi-habituated Red Muntjacs were around the bungalows. Common Palm Civet was spotlighted near the upper campsite, Wild Boars were seen near the observation tower, several Cambodian Striped Squirrels and Black Giant Squirrels were noted, two Malayan Porcupines were on the road at dusk, family of Pileated Gibbons and later Binturong were on the same fruiting fig tree one day. Lar Gibbons were heard only. Four Asian Elephants were seen at the roadside salt lick, and many were heard foraging extremely close to the campsite at night. Possibly the best observation was a cat on the park road at daybreak, which could be Marbled Cat but remained unidentified.

Wat Pra Puttabaht Noi, the limestone wren-babbler site, yielded Variable Squirrels and a troop of Long-tailed Macaques climbing on the limestone pinnacles.

Pak Bia
area yielded, besides rare waders, swarms of Lyle's Flying Foxes flying out of mangroves from King's Water Works near the entrance at sunset and Long-tailed Macaques on the road between Petchburi and Pak Bia, near the traffic sign warning of monkeys. Fishing Cats allegedly living in the area could not be found.

In Bangkok, grounds of Dusit Zoo yielded wild Northern Treeshrews, Gray-bellied Squirrels, and groups of Greater Short-nosed Fruit Bats hidden under the chewed palm leaves in the SW corner of the zoo, along the banks of an ornamental lake.

Attachments

• thai2.JPG
    thai2.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 24
  • thai6.jpg
    thai6.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 28
  • thai7.jpg
    thai7.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 27
  • thai8.JPG
    thai8.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 20
  • thai10.jpg
    thai10.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Besides, 252 bird species seen included Grey Peacock-Pheasant, Siamese Firebacks, Silver and Kalij Pheasants, Chinese Egret, Milky Stork, Malaysian and White-faced Plovers, Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Nordmann's Greenshank, Asiatic Dowitcher, 4 hornbills, 7 barbets, 4 broadbills, Blue Pitta, Crested Jay and Ratchet-tailed Treepie.

I am still struggling with several species of bat photographed in the cave near Khao Yai. Can I kindly ask anybody for help?

Attachments

• thai3.jpg
    thai3.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 26
  • bat1.jpg
    bat1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15
  • bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bat3.jpg
    bat3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 21
  • bat4.jpg
    bat4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
And some more bats. Anybody can ID?

Attachments

• bat5.jpg
    bat5.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bat6.jpg
    bat6.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 15
  • bat7.jpg
    bat7.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 23
To answer myself. For thebenefit of future visitors, the first three bats are probably Intermediate Horseshoe Bats Rhinolophus affinis, the next two Malayan Horseshoe Bats Rhinolophus malayanus, then is possible Nepalese Whiskered Myotis Myotis muricola, although I am not compltely sure even of a genus. Flying ones are likely Wrinkle-lipped Free-tailed Bats Chaerephon plicatus.

I freely admit I am not a bat expert, and would be happy for a correction, even long time from now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back