• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Cirl Bunting sites in Devon (1 Viewer)

Grando

Hi, I'll be passing through Devon next week and was wondering if anyone could suggest any good current sites for Cirl Bunts at this time of the year, as it's been so long since I've seen any in the UK.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi Ed,
Cirls are pretty sedentary, so sites tend to be good year round. You say you're passing through Devon, so you're really only limited by how much of a detour you want. Close to the M5 / A38 is Powderham Marsh [the new extension to RSPB Exminster Marsh] - which is set up specifically for Cirls and Woodlarks. A longer detour is the classic Cirl site - between Start and Prawle Points. Good luck!

an easy site to see them is berry head by brixham. heard one as soon as i got out of the car back in the spring!

We always used to pop into Wembury on the way to or from the Scillies. We didn't always succeed though; Prawle Point is a guaranteed site but it's much further to drive.

This photo of a Cirl Bunting was taken by myself at Prawle Point but as clive pointed out it is a lot further to drive.
Lee

Attachments

• Cirl bunting 2.jpg
    Cirl bunting 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 83
The last part of the drive to Prawle Point is along very narrow roads I seem to remember which makes the long drive long in terms of miles and time. However, as has been said it is a guarenteed site or was when I went there and you only need to get out of the car to find them - well maybe walk a few hundred metres.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back