• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Carara Preserve and Vicinity, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Steve Gross

I'm going to be near Carara Preserve in Costa Rica for a weekend soon, and am interested in as much detail about birding that area as possible, including information about:

Guides - suggestions for well-qualified guides who know the area and its birds;

Other - suggestions about travel tips for the area, safety issues, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I have the Skutch field guide and will soon receive the birding location guide. I have the Cornell CD of birdsong for Costa Rica (yes, I know, it covers mainly the Carribbean slope) and am making a strong effort to be as prepared bird-wise as possible. What I'd like to hear about involves the on-the-ground logistics of birding Carara and vicinity. I'll be on my own and would like to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Steve Gross
Houston, TX

Hi Steve

I stayed at he bridge, where the crocodiles are, just before the reserve. Only a 20 minute walk wth good birding on the way. Cheap and the food and beer are good too

The vigilanicia trail is very good and worth a day on its own. Plenty of great birds, hummers, boatbills, tanagers, trogons, antbirds and Streak-chested Antpitta. Very safe too, despite what you may have read about the place in the past.

The reserve proper is very nie as well. The staff are great and informative. Walking the shortish trails slowly should reveal some great birds - leaftossers, woodpeckers, trogons, large variety of wrens etc.

Let me know aobut specific species and i'll do my best to help

Hi Steve.

A few years ago, don't know if it is still there, just down the road from Carara was a restaurant called Steve & Lisa's. We, three of us got the trunk of our car broken into while we were having a meal, they stole all our optical equipment. Carara as a brilliant place to go birding, but just watch the thieves.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back