• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request advice on Nikon Fieldscope eyepiece (1 Viewer)

usually down if you wear glasses and up without glasses
Generally true, but you need to experiment a bit. Partially out may be best when wearing certain types of spectacles, for full field. Partially out also ensures the lenses of spectacles don't make contact with the ocular lens of the Eyepiece.
Conversely, slightly in from furthest out may allow easier viewing of the full field for some, without spectacles.

Well done on a cracking deal - effectively the MC eyepiece at a decent price, with a spare body and zoom thrown in for free - makes you wonder if the seller really knew what they had.

Maybe one day I’ll snaffle the elusive 38x too!

I think you have an ED60 ii already? If so the 20/30/38x should be perfect and I think the fact it states the ED50 magnification shows it has new (newest?) coatings. Others may be able to confirm that point. I guess you then compare the two scope bodies and sell the copy you like least, probably easiest sold with an eyepiece though.

This eyepiece is actually on my “want list”, to complete my magnification set (I actually have a WTB post in the forums with no responses), although I use an ED50 and ED82. On both of those I usually use approximately 30x (27x on ED50 and 30x on ED82) and I think that is considered the sweet spot for magnification on these scopes. See This thread for some details of people using the eyepiece with the various bodies.

I would suggest that this eyepiece comes up pretty infrequently, especially on it’s own. My latest acquisition was a 75x DS and I paid £89 but I would suggest the 38x MC is a lot more desirable and therefore worth more.

Nikon UK advised me last summer the only current eyepieces are as follows, with their RRPs…..
  1. 40x/60x/75x Wide DS eyepiece: RRP £309.00;
  2. 40x/50x Wide DS eyepiece: RRP £309.00;
  3. 13-30x/20-45x/25-56x MC Zoom eyepiece: RRP £229.00;
  4. 24x/30x Wide DS eyepiece: RRP £279.00.
Thank you for this most helpful information. I now have 2 scopes (one ED one non ed) and three eyepieces (2 are zoom and one is fixed). I can try my MC eyepiece out on both scopes and keep the scope I prefer. I can then sell the other scope along with a surplus zoom eyepiece

Thank you for this most helpful information. I now have 2 scopes (one ED one non ed) and three eyepieces (2 are zoom and one is fixed). I can try my MC eyepiece out on both scopes and keep the scope I prefer. I can then sell the other scope along with a surplus zoom eyepiece
Enjoy, I'm sure you won't be disappointed! In the unlikely event that you decide to move your EDII on, feel free to drop me a PM...

Enjoy, I'm sure you won't be disappointed! In the unlikely event that you decide to move your EDII on, feel free to drop me a PM...
Hi Daniel, thank you for your kind comment. I havent tried it out yet. I am hoping to do so this weekend. I am hoping that, although looking slighly worn, it is going to be optically good. I cannot see any issues with the glass. I will bear you in mind I promise.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back