• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rediscovery of Black-naped Pheasant Pigeon (1 Viewer)

How long is it since any birders saw it? The IOC spreadsheet says 'no recent records' but I don't think it will be 140 years. It is the Ferguson Island subspecies of Pheasant Pigeon.

Last edited:
How long is it sine any birders saw it? The IOC spreadsheet says 'no recent records' but I don't think it will be 140 years. It is the Ferguson Island subspecies of Pheasant Pigeon.
No birders have seen it. Not even the scientists involved saw it in the flesh, they only got camera footage. From what I've heard through the grapevine, even local hunters rarely encounter it, though they know it was still present.

And yes, this is the insularis subspecies. Although I wonder how long it will remain as "just" a subspecies with the renewed interest.

This is New Guinea, where many regions and birds are practically not visited. This bird can be both critically endangered or quite widespread but overlooked.

Is it positively known it occurs only on Fergusson Island and not on neighboring mainland?

Great that a rediscovery is still possible after a century and a half!
I'm sure this will add fuel to the forever simmering Ivory-Billed Woodpecker fire :ROFLMAO:
You cannot compare the two birds... the only reason why the pigeon wasn't seen was solely due to the lack of people actively looking for it. Ivory billed has a range that is regularly searched and not a single piece of slightly reliable evidence has been produced except from the feather that was discovered in the 60's which couldn't be aged.

Great that a rediscovery is still possible after a century and a half!
I'm sure this will add fuel to the forever simmering Ivory-Billed Woodpecker fire :ROFLMAO:
And the Tasmanian Tiger?

It has been sobering to view John Audubon's illustrations of birds of the USA. and so far seeing those of the Great Auk and Passenger Pigeon, both extinct

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back