• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed Hawks roosting together after fledging (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
We've had a RTHA nest nearby for three years. First year nesting appeared to fail; second year, two juveniles fledged; this year, three. Now they're roosting each evening quite close together not at the nest, but in the dead top of a tall tree not far away. Is this a common known behavior?

Making up for lost time ;)

I've never witnessed something like this before. Fingers crossed for the next batch!

No idea what you mean by "making up for lost time".

I've asked around locally and apparently this is a known behavior with some raptors. They would not be sharing food of course, and will eventually go off to establish their own territories. Presumably they're being tolerated in their parents' for now. It's been nice to watch; when we saw the nest empty we thought that was the end of the show.

No idea what you mean by "making up for lost time".

I've asked around locally and apparently this is a known behavior with some raptors. They would not be sharing food of course, and will eventually go off to establish their own territories. Presumably they're being tolerated in their parents' for now. It's been nice to watch; when we saw the nest empty we thought that was the end of the show.
Won't they migrate soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back