• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-flanked Bluetail a first for Canada! (1 Viewer)

Neil Robins

Hi birders, A mega Rare bird in New Westminister.

13 Jan - 17 Jan -- RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL in Vancouver!
Found on the 13th by Colin McKenzie and confirmed on the 14th by Mike Toochin and George Clulow, a first-winter Red-flanked Bluetail is still showing well in Queens Park, New Westminster, Vancouver (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...l=49.216111,-122.907829&spn=0.014997,0.042272).
From the main parking lot, walk 1 minute north towards the playground where the bird was seen feeding around the picnic tables and the base of conifers as recently as Jan 17.

Marilynne and I went to see the Bluetail on Wednesday, January 16. We saw the Bluetail when we arrived at 11:00 a.m. and followed him around the park for about one hour. There were about twenty birders there also. We got the Citrine Wagtail in November so its been a Mega fall and winter for us.

Neil Robins
Parksville
British Columbia
Canada

Last edited:
AWEsome, Neil!

First the Wagtail, and now this (an even better bird, I'm sure!)... I am obviously living in the wrong part of the country.
:storm:

Actually, I first heard about it on As it Happens last night. Funny thing is, I missed the intro. to the piece, so I didn't know which species they were talking about until just now. But since it was on the CBC (nation-wide, no less), I knew it must be something really good. |:p|

Wonder how far New Westminster is from Reading....

AWEsome, Neil!

First the Wagtail, and now this (an even better bird, I'm sure!)... I am obviously living in the wrong part of the country.
:storm:

Actually, I first heard about it on As it Happens last night. Funny thing is, I missed the intro. to the piece, so I didn't know which species they were talking about until just now. But since it was on the CBC (nation-wide, no less), I knew it must be something really good. |:p|

Wonder how far New Westminster is from Reading....

It's 4,325 Km and one day, 15 hours by road...

Cheers
Neil

o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back