• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recording: Wader, Kilcoole Irl, Oct 30 (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Hi

Just got a distant binocular view, no camera with me. Size, shape, head markings and Jizz suggested a Phalarope to me, but by no means sure. Got a rather faint but relatively clear recording of call, wonder if anyone can comment

Thanks!

Andrew

Attachments

• Wader_call.wav
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Compared your recording to audio of Phalaropes, but I'm not too convinced. Was it swimming in tight circles or wading? Did it have a needle shaped bill?

It was wading almost up to its belly and frequently dipping its head in the water. It was the shape, pale grey uppers, pure white belly and above all the patch behind the eye extending to a thin line down the side of the neck that caught my attention. Frustratingly couldn't get a clear view of the bill except to say that it was dark and not very long. Bill was blending in with the dark bank behind. Recording just had the tail end of the call, mostly it was a louder, two tone "chup chup chip-chip-chip chup chup" sound with the chip faster and higher tone than the chup. After the event am even starting to doubt if the sound was coming from this bird but am pretty sure it was. My only hope is that I get lucky and someone positively clinches it from the recording.

Your description definitely fits a Phalarope, Red-Necked would be my guess, but I'm not in the right position to provide certainty.
There'll be someone on this forum who recognizes your recording.

Thanks for your help nba, I'll have to treat it as a maybe, but as you say someone here may come up with the proof!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back