• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

recipe for fatballs etc (1 Viewer)

ann

Hello Has anyone out there a simple recipe for home made fatballs and suet balls for my garden birds. They are eating me out of house and home and eat two large fatballs a day ,as well as eveything else that is put out for them.

Thanks Ann

Not a fat/suet ball I know but they scoff up the leftover (uncooked of course) dough when I make cornish pasties.

Don;t know of a much simpler recipe

And as this is your first post ...... hi and welcome to BF

Thanks Carlos
I made one last night with lard ,seed, and other bits and left it to set, they are eating it but the sun today has made it all a bit soft. I will try again using more suet.

Regards Ann

Yes I think really you can put almost anything in it, only thing we found is with cooked pastry it makes a mess - crumbs everywhere and a lot don't get eaten.

We buy cheap blocks of lard from ASDA and melt it in a pan and add sultanas, mixed seed, crushed peanut granules and any other bits and pieces the birds like - you need to absorb most of the fat so it forms a thick paste - sticks to the wooden spoon. We then spoon it into yogurt pots and marg tubs etc and set in the fridge. We feed it mainly in autumn and winter - if it is too hot as now it does go soft.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back