• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID ,near York ,UK. (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

Found this bird soaring near Redhouse/Moormonkton area close to York yesterday.Size approaching Buzzard, which made me question whether was Sparrowhawk.It probably is but just wanted confirmation,Have 2 or 3 more images if needed.I have lightened the pics as was very backlit.

Attachments

• rapweb.jpg
    rapweb.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Rapweb3.jpg
    Rapweb3.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Rapweb2.jpg
    Rapweb2.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 173
  • raptorweb.jp.jpg
    raptorweb.jp.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Rap5.jpg
    Rap5.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 167
Females can be quite a lot bigger than males - we have a local dainty male and monster female. The clear view of the eye and the lack of a very dark eye surround cancels out Goshawk. A Goshawk is not big; it's huge (when compared to Sparr and Kestrel).

Females can be quite a lot bigger than males - we have a local dainty male and monster female. The clear view of the eye and the lack of a very dark eye surround cancels out Goshawk. A Goshawk is not big; it's huge (when compared to Sparr and Kestrel).

Thats a bit misleading - male gos when seen in isolation dont feel huge to me. At swanton novers last week we saw an accipiter get up out of the trees and it was significantly smaller than the buzzards and although distant we wrote it off as a sparrowhawk. Watching it for a bit longer something didnt ring quite right and it had gleaming utc's and a 5:1 flap glide ratio rather than the 2:1 of a sparrowhawk and both myself and skink1978 (mike) were confident it was a male goshawk. A female stands out a mile away but males are much more subtle.

Thats a bit misleading - male gos when seen in isolation dont feel huge to me. At swanton novers last week we saw an accipiter get up out of the trees and it was significantly smaller than the buzzards and although distant we wrote it off as a sparrowhawk. Watching it for a bit longer something didnt ring quite right and it had gleaming utc's and a 5:1 flap glide ratio rather than the 2:1 of a sparrowhawk and both myself and skink1978 (mike) were confident it was a male goshawk. A female stands out a mile away but males are much more subtle.

Prominent white undertail coverts are seriously over-rated as a pro-goshawk feature. I've certainly seen the feature shown by a female sparrowhawk.

This is all useful learning and i'm very grateful....but does anyone have a link that would show goshawk in similar flight posture??

cheers

Paul

This is all useful learning and i'm very grateful....but does anyone have a link that would show goshawk in similar flight posture??

cheers

Paul

This one's pretty good: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=14684

There are others on the same site at: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=listpictures&species_id=189&page_nr=1 but many of the flight shots involve juvenile birds which are easier to identify because of teh more distinctive plumage, i.e the breast is streaked rather than barred.

From the New Forest a few days ago...

Attachments

• IMG_8542.jpg
    IMG_8542.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 205
Attached a shot showing both species together to give an idea of the size comparison - taken from an original image which can be viewed on my website, the photo shown here has had the sparrowhawk cloned and moved closer to the goshawk, to enable a tighter crop for presentation purposes.

Attachments

• Accipiters.jpg
    Accipiters.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 223
Attached a shot showing both species together to give an idea of the size comparison - taken from an original image which can be viewed on my website, the photo shown here has had the sparrowhawk cloned and moved closer to the goshawk, to enable a tighter crop for presentation purposes.

I'm having trouble seeing why the larger bird isn't a female sparrowhawk...

Still a goshawk for me - what structural features are pointing to sparrowhawk.

I guess it could be a 3rd calendar year male Goshawk but the distinct barring on remiges and thin tail make me think it is a female Sparrowhawk. Arm doesn't look too long, bill and legs don't look too powerful either.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back