• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor (?) call – Wye Valley, UK. 5th Dec 21 (1 Viewer)

SittingOnTheFence

United Kingdom
Hey folks. I'm Dan. Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Would love to get your thoughts about this raptor call – sorry the recording is a bit quiet.

Heard around dawn (5.12.21) from a patch of conifer plantation that adjoins ancient mixed woodland, somewhere between Chepstow and Monmouth UK.

Also I keep getting brief semi-obscured glimpses of big (seeming) hawk shapes, so dare I hope Goshawk?

Thanks

Dan

View attachment RaptorCallDawn.mp3

Hello Dan,

yes, it sounds good for a Goshawk for me, too. But as with other sound recordings (especially this), better wait for confirmation.
Because allthough pitch, quality and feeling sounds good for a Goshawk imo, other threads here have shown for me, that these are often difficult to judge/perceive (I hope thats the right word).

Hi Dan and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Well done on the Goshawk!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hello Dan,

yes, it sounds good for a Goshawk for me, too. But as with other sound recordings (especially this), better wait for confirmation.
Because allthough pitch, quality and feeling sounds good for a Goshawk imo, other threads here have shown for me, that these are often difficult to judge/perceive (I hope thats the right word).
Thank you Alexander, iPhones are not the best tool for field sound recordings, but I don't think it's too different from what I heard in real life, mostly a bit quieter.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back