• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 - Shipping Notice vs Backorder - first impressions from the lucky few (1 Viewer)

AlphaFan

United States
Very much waiting to hear first impressions from folks who receive their R7s as retailers begin filling pre-orders.

Also would love to get some idea of how those pre-orders get distributed. Pre-ordered from B&H back in May and received a “Backordered Notice“ yesterday. Since this was unexpected I called customer service to clarify and they confirmed I would not be in their initial group of pre-orders filled (they must have received notice/estimate of their initial shipment from Canon) - they continued that it should take at least until the end of July or maybe up to 90 days from tomorrow’s initial release.

Would love to hear from other folks to develop some idea of retailers best able to fill pre-orders for future releases of Canon items of interest; also looking forward to hearing first impressions from those who receive their cameras in the near term.

I assume the whole thing is first come first served. I've just heard my R7 from Wex is arriving tomorrow, leaving me to decide whether to take it to Tankfest on Saturday or stick to what I know....

John

I assume the whole thing is first come first served. I've just heard my R7 from Wex is arriving tomorrow, leaving me to decide whether to take it to Tankfest on Saturday or stick to what I know....

John
You must have been quick off the mark. :) I ordered from them before 10am on the first day. I had a message yesterday in answer to my query of the day before that they'd had so many orders, I shouldn't hold my breath. Well Done.

You must have been quick off the mark. :) I ordered from them before 10am on the first day. I had a message yesterday in answer to my query of the day before that they'd had so many orders, I shouldn't hold my breath. Well Done.
Received similar feedback from B&H - according to the rep, they were staggered by the volume of pre-orders right out of the gate and have no idea when they will be able to fill their massive pre-order backlog. Unfortunately, they did not inform pre-order customers of this until immediately before the manufacturer’s initial shipping date (opportunity loss). Lesson-learned. I began this thread, at least in part, to discover if folks who ordered from different vendors (including smaller shops) get their cameras sooner than from the well-known giants. Also, to hear R7 performance impressions from those who do. As an aside, if folks are willing to buy the R7 RF S18-150 Kit, some vendors are showing those in-stock and available for purchase.

My R7 is also arriving today (from WEX). Will probably be restricted to some garden shots today (I downloaded the user manual last week so have had a good read).

My R7 is also arriving today (from WEX). Will probably be restricted to some garden shots today (I downloaded the user manual last week so have had a good read).
Roy, where did you download the manual from? I looked at the Canon site but it wasn't what I'd call intuitive.

Cheers

John

Roy, where did you download the manual from? I looked at the Canon site but it wasn't what I'd call intuitive.

Cheers

John
From the Canon UK site John. Its 933 pages and almost 20mb file. The file is called c005. pdf

Last edited:
My R7 shipped last night (from Canon USA) and will be arriving on Tuesday. After receiving notice from B&H that my May R7 pre-order was moved to “backordered” on 21 Jun, I immediately pre-ordered one from Canon USA that same day, and it shipped on the scheduled release date. Very much looking forward to receiving and exploring it.

For those looking to download the manual it is available here - https://cam.start.canon/en/C005/manual/c005.pdf

Last edited:
I guess everyone's mileage will be different depending on when they ordered an R7 and where they ordered it from. In my case, I was slow out of the blocks and pre-ordered it on 28th May direct from Canon UK and have been given an ETA of 29th July. I looked at the Canon site two day ago and they were quoting 30th September for new orders. Today, all reference to the R7 in the Canon UK shop has been removed. Just hoping my original shipping date (or dare I hope better?) is honoured. It seems likely that there is going to be a lot of disappointed and frustrated folk before supply stabilises.

Thought I'd post an early image shot on the R7. Very early days at the moment as I haven't really learnt the camera or set it up properly, especially the focusing. It really needs RAW editing support as currently only Canon's own software can open RAWs properly. It feels and operates quite differently from what I'm used to with my R6 but generally, first impressions are good.

Attachments

• 0A3A0395.jpg
    0A3A0395.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
Early days yet and only messing around in the garden yesterday but images look cleaner than the 7D2 files. Tried all my EF lenses (with the free adapter) and they all worked fine including my only non Canon lens (Sigma 24-105 art lens). Shooting in CRAW the file sizes are smaller than the 7D2 Raws although they do take a little longer for DPP to process and send to Photoshop as a 16 bit tiff. No problem with setting up back button focus (to the AF-on button) but still need to get to grip with all the AF variations and setting up buttons for quick access to various shooting situations.

Early days yet and only messing around in the garden yesterday but images look cleaner than the 7D2 files. Tried all my EF lenses (with the free adapter) and they all worked fine including my only non Canon lens (Sigma 24-105 art lens). Shooting in CRAW the file sizes are smaller than the 7D2 Raws although they do take a little longer for DPP to process and send to Photoshop as a 16 bit tiff. No problem with setting up back button focus (to the AF-on button) but still need to get to grip with all the AF variations and setting up buttons for quick access to various shooting situations.
Mine seems to have arrived with back button focus enabled?

The eye tracking is ridiculous, it picked up the eyes on a wooden owl on the windowsill, backlit yet!

I haven't quite figured the quick changes though, doesn't seem as easy as the quick menus in the 7Dii so I'm probably missing something obvious.

John

In use in Norfolk today, animal/eye tracking is nothing short of miraculous. Works perfectly with the 100-400 Mk ii.

It's not quite comfortable in my hand yet, not consistently finding even the AF-on button to activate the viewfinder. Quite a bit smaller than the 7Dii! I'll get used to it.

Not happy with the brightness of the viewfinder out of the box, need to look at that.

I haven't used wifi to download pictures before, is this likely quicker than cable (not supplied, will need to get if necessary)?

Spot the non-techie.... :ROFLMAO:

John

I haven't used wifi to download pictures before, is this likely quicker than cable (not supplied, will need to get if necessary)?
In principle slower. If it is measurably slower depends on your system. I usually pull out the card and use a card reader no matter which systems the camera has. Disclaimer: I am not using Canon.
Niels

In use in Norfolk today, animal/eye tracking is nothing short of miraculous. Works perfectly with the 100-400 Mk ii.

It's not quite comfortable in my hand yet, not consistently finding even the AF-on button to activate the viewfinder. Quite a bit smaller than the 7Dii! I'll get used to it.

Not happy with the brightness of the viewfinder out of the box, need to look at that.

Spot the non-techie.... :ROFLMAO:

John
From what I remember with another camera (can't recall if it was the 5D iv or the R5) if you're downloading to your computer by wifi and you have more than a handful of shots, make sure you have a good book to hand and maybe a pack of cards.

I just plug my R5 into the PC with a USB C cable and the shots come in like a movie.

I think the Wi-fi bit is designed for people with shots to download that they need to get to (or from) a remote location quickly to beat a deadline, not for real people who just want to take a few hundreds pics of birds on branches or flying past. Nice to have for those who need it, a bit like TV sets in the rear seats of their limos. :)

From what I remember with another camera (can't recall if it was the 5D iv or the R5) if you're downloading to your computer by wifi and you have more than a handful of shots, make sure you have a good book to hand and maybe a pack of cards.

I just plug my R5 into the PC with a USB C cable and the shots come in like a movie.

I think the Wi-fi bit is designed for people with shots to download that they need to get to (or from) a remote location quickly to beat a deadline, not for real people who just want to take a few hundreds pics of birds on branches or flying past. Nice to have for those who need it, a bit like TV sets in the rear seats of their limos. :)
I've always used a cable with the 7Dii but then they supplied it in the camera kit. OK, USB C cable shopping we go this morning!

Cheers

John

Next silly question: Attempted to update EOS Utility and DPP but found R7 not listed on "your product" options - how are people getting round this?

Edit: Supplementary to this, is whatever people have downloaded instead backwards compatible to 7Dii Utility and DPP requirements, as I shall continue to use mine for various things (and as back-up)?

Cheers

John

Last edited:
One word of caution for those who are moving on to the R7 from full frame, such as R5. (I'm still patiently waiting for my order).

18 months ago, when I went out for the first time with my new R5 to a local beach, I thought I'd give the in-body 1.6 crop function a try to see how the 17.5 MP compared to the 7D image. I was photographing rock pipits as they fed amongst the weed, sanderlings and turnstones dashing about and the odd redshank flying by. I quickly reverted back to full frame, because it made life so much easier in acquiring the moving target, not just because it gave the eye detection longer to lock on, but because it was so much easier to track the quicky-moving erratic targets in the wider view. When I was only using my 7Dii this never occurred to me because I was just getting on with what I knew.

The R7 APS-C sensor obviously gives more reach and with more pixels on the target than an R5, but at the cost of a much narrower view that makes tracking just that bit harder.

Teaching my granny to suck eggs, maybe, but just a thought that came to mind.

This is 65% of one of those R5 1.6 in body crop photos, 4114 pixels across the top, reduced from 5087, taken in the low sun three days before Christmas, one of the ones I caught of a rock pipit on the trot before I went back to full frame for an easier life.

1/800 sec, F8, ISO 3200. Eos R5 + Sigma 150-600 Sport at 600mm.

Attachments

• Rock-Pipit-(12)-bfweb.jpg
    Rock-Pipit-(12)-bfweb.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back