• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 for bird photography and birds in flight (1 Viewer)

Awesome photo!!

As pure curiosity (certainly no criticism!!) is the artifact on the wing feather due to CR3 --> jpg compression or also there in the original photo?
If you mean the whitish halo on the wing tips, it is exactly the same on the unconverted and unprocessed RAW straight from the Camera - I think it is just the way the light was at the time. There are other shots of the same bird which are the same.

Awesome photo!!

As pure curiosity (certainly no criticism!!) is the artifact on the wing feather due to CR3 --> jpg compression or also there in the original photo?
I have just done a google search for Greenfinch in-flight Frank and those that show the wing in this position are almost all the same, it part of the wing tip. try it yourself.

A few in flight images using the R7 and 100-500mm lens; taken in Israel this spring.
All electronic shutter; 15pfs exept for the Swallow when I was using 30fps but even when using 30fps I feathered the shutter depressions. I've yet to see any real cases of rolling shutter in any iamges taken
Hi Steve, earlier on in this thread I notice you were less complimentary about the R7 than some others have been - has your opinion changed over the past few months?

Hi Steve, earlier on in this thread I notice you were less complimentary about the R7 than some others have been - has your opinion changed over the past few months?
I have managed to get some excellent images with the R7 and the 100-500mm RF mount lens but there are still some instances where the single spot is just to big and it goes off subject and hunts. I am still trying with different settings, there are a hell of a lot, and might have found a solution to this but still trying it out.

In flight its a step or two beyond the older 7D mkii but birds in bushes/trees, dragonflies in busy backgrounds etc are still more challenging but as above still fathoming the settings.

I like the change in dial layout of the R7 and found the repositioning on the back wheel a very easy and natural transition though I know others have found it harder to adjust to it. To me it just felt a more natural place for it to be.

The 7D doesn't get out the door anymore so difficulties aside it is now the defacto camera kit that goes out and the more I use it, especially since I got the 100-500mm since the post mentioned, the more success I am getting, which was already an improvement on the 7D.mkii.

If making a recommendation as to whether to get it or not, I have no regrets, just a few now minor reservations over some of the functionality

Some recents samples with the R7 and 100-500mm RF lens.

Attachments

• Kestrel Wallasea Island April 2023 BLOG 8W6A3690.jpg
    Kestrel Wallasea Island April 2023 BLOG 8W6A3690.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Mediterranean Gull 1st winter Southend Pier March 2023 BLOG 8W6A9653.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull 1st winter Southend Pier March 2023 BLOG 8W6A9653.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Puffin Fair Isle May 2023 BLOG 8W6A8091.jpg
    Puffin Fair Isle May 2023 BLOG 8W6A8091.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Red-backed Shrike juvenile West Canvey Marshes August 2023 BLOG 8W6A1575.jpg
    Red-backed Shrike juvenile West Canvey Marshes August 2023 BLOG 8W6A1575.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Bee-eater sequence Israel 2023 STANDARD 8W6A7949v2.jpg
    Bee-eater sequence Israel 2023 STANDARD 8W6A7949v2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 93
  • Blue-cheeked Bee-eater Israel 2023 STANDARD 8W6A9932.jpg
    Blue-cheeked Bee-eater Israel 2023 STANDARD 8W6A9932.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
My R7 has developed several faults,following error codes 01 & 80(first is lens communication,2nd is reinsert battery)Also I have not changed any settings but last friday out of 540 shots only 30 were in focus.Used the canon 500mm f4 mkii with the canon 1.4mkiii,I was shooting at f5.6 with a shutter speed of 6/400
iso 800 in good light.Tried another lens & the shots were not acceptably sharp,also all the shots were taken on a tripod.

For those who are concerned about the R7's ability to find and focus on birds in flight against a confusing background, maybe this post might provide a bit of light. I'd be the first to admit that at times the camera can be frustrating with its predilection to find eyes where they don't exist and to focus on trees, bushes and blades of grass when it feels like it, but it's also a star when it does what it's supposed to.

I'm just back at the weekend from what was, until Covid restrictions and another problem got in the way, my annual autumn trip to the Strait of Gibraltar area for the raptor migration. Hopefully, after the 4 year enforced break, it's going to be annual for some time to come. It was also my R7's first trip to the area in autumn, after a successful outing for the spring migration there in May.

On previous visits, I've been using my 7DII combined with my Sigma 150-600 for birds, but now the choice is the R7 plus the RF 100-500.

One spot I go back to whenever the conditions are right can be particularly rewarding, but also extremely challenging, because it's at its best in a strong easterly wind, which makes photography difficult, even when I'm using a shelter to try to keep out of the wind. The wind gusts catch the lens and blow the camera all over, while the birds, fighting against the gale, are bouncing all over the place, usually in the opposite direction to the camera. Shots against the sky aren't so bad, but I do like to get some against the wooded hillside if I can. With the old camera I'm manage maybe two or three of these shots per trip that were anywhere decent, and even then I was prepared to put up with a slight bit of softness for the sake of shot difficulty and composition benefits. Getting that central cluster of focus points on a bouncing target was a nightmare.

On this year's trip, the normally prevailing and almost constant easterly wind seemed to have gone missing, replaced by light airs and days of constant westerlies, so I had fewer opportunities than I'd have liked to go to my spot. One day I was there was last Thursday, when the wind was good, but there was more cloud than I'd have liked, so the light wasn't great.

Here are half a dozen shots from Thursday, taken when the subjects were whizzing by at a low ground speed, but because of the close range, a high angular velocity, not the easiest to find in the dull light against the dark foliage of the hillside. Some subjects are nice and contrasty, others not so much. You might notice that the honey buzzard in the 2nd & 3rd pics are consecutive frames. That in itself is something I never could achieve with the old kit, but these two were part of a burst of 6, all in focus, unheard of. As I said above, I used to be pleased to come away with two or three of these shots from a trip. This time I've got no fewer than 282 that have so far survived the end of trip deleting cull! I had a lot of shots where the camera failed to lock on, preferring the bushes, but these weren't nearly as frequent as with the old kit, maybe half the time or thereabouts. With the 7D2 it was maybe 1 in 10 on a good day, or usually much less.

Is the R7 better than the 7DII at birds in flight? On this example, it's a hundred times better. :)

Attachments

• AG7_9764-fbook.jpg
    AG7_9764-fbook.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 85
  • AG7_9983-fbook.jpg
    AG7_9983-fbook.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 86
  • AG7_9984-fbook.jpg
    AG7_9984-fbook.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 81
  • cAG7_9811-fbook.jpg
    cAG7_9811-fbook.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 80
  • eAG7_9757-fbook.jpg
    eAG7_9757-fbook.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 81
  • cAG7_9917-fbook.jpg
    cAG7_9917-fbook.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
A few more from early in the trip, 31 Aug/1 Sept.

Partly for information, but primarily to bump yet another of those ludicrous 'I've got an R3 and a big lens' spam posts off the top of the thread.

Attachments

• AG7_1471-fbook.jpg
    AG7_1471-fbook.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 40
  • AG7_1282-fbook.jpg
    AG7_1282-fbook.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 37
  • AG7_1202-fbook.jpg
    AG7_1202-fbook.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 37
  • AG7_1156-fbook.jpg
    AG7_1156-fbook.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 41
  • AG7_0869-fbook.jpg
    AG7_0869-fbook.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 42
  • AG7_0735-fbook.jpg
    AG7_0735-fbook.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 41
At one of our local reserves today.

I was photographing a migrant hawker dragonfly with the R7 & 100-500 plus 1.4x converter when I was interrupted by three whoopers flying in. They were on the water for only about 3 minutes when a pair of local mute swans made it very clear they weren't welcome and off the whoopers went.

Attachments

• Migrant-Hawker-(14)-fbook.jpg
    Migrant-Hawker-(14)-fbook.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Whooper-(36)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(36)-fbook.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Whooper-(35)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(35)-fbook.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Whooper-(27)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(27)-fbook.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Whooper-(14)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(14)-fbook.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Whooper-(4)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(4)-fbook.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 37
More from the same session with the same combo.

Sunbathing Chiffchaff, Common Darter, and a Shore Crab, stripped of the spiky bits like legs and claws gets a final glimpse of the world.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff-(7)-fbook2.jpg
    Chiffchaff-(7)-fbook2.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Common-Darter-(7)-fbook.jpg
    Common-Darter-(7)-fbook.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Eider-(1)-fbook.jpg
    Eider-(1)-fbook.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 40
My R7 has developed several faults,following error codes 01 & 80(first is lens communication,2nd is reinsert battery)Also I have not changed any settings but last friday out of 540 shots only 30 were in focus.Used the canon 500mm f4 mkii with the canon 1.4mkiii,I was shooting at f5.6 with a shutter speed of 6/400
iso 800 in good light.Tried another lens & the shots were not acceptably sharp,also all the shots were taken on a tripod.

Mine also show error codes from times to times (can't remember those numbers), forcing me to restart. Once I also had to take the battery out as switching it on and off was not enough. Did you get the latest firmware?

On a tripod maybe check if ISIS is not on. Usually it's quite "smart" and efficient with IS R lenses, I regularly forget to turn it off on the tripod and I never had any issue.... Otoh with non IS R lenses or EF lenses, I also had some unacceptably soft images with ISIS on when not needed, or even some kind of "double vision" in the details.

Also shutter speed of 1/400 (6/400?) is too slow for BIF, except maybe with both R's IS and ISIS...

I haven't practiced a lot of BIF with the R7, but obviously the lens is really making the difference here. I'm using the R 100-400 F/8, and while I prefer to use this combo all/most the time now, instead of my old 400 F/5.6 L (which offers a sligthly better quality than R F/8 but much slower with the R's and not supported), the older combo (7D & 400 L) still beats the R7 + R 100-400 when the bird in flight is really small! I guess the R 100-500 and faster R teles might be less problematic in this marginal case.

Focusing with 3rd party lenses (eg the Sigma) was never as fast and accurate as good L's, one can not really compare. And AF with R's is now incredibly fast(er) provided you have good R lenses... You can find pictures of similar quality shot with the 7D, but they were harder to get.

The worst part for me is how long it takes to come out of sleep mode and show a picture in the viewfinder, birds can fly dozens of meters in this time! With my DSLR I could shot instantly! On my R7 it seems faster to manually switch the power on and off, than to reactivate it by pressing the shutter!

Last edited:
Latest firmware on the camera & shutter speed was 1/6400,most issues now solved after changing case settings.

Last edited:
Some non-raptor bits and pieces from last month in Spain.

R7 plus 100-500 (glossy ibis was with 1.4x converter added)

Attachments

• Caspian-Tern-(63)-Barbate-fbook.jpg
    Caspian-Tern-(63)-Barbate-fbook.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Elegant-Tern-(13)-fbook.jpg
    Elegant-Tern-(13)-fbook.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Whimbrel-(10)-fbook.jpg
    Whimbrel-(10)-fbook.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Glossy-Ibis-(4)-fbook.jpg
    Glossy-Ibis-(4)-fbook.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Black-Stork-(61)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    Black-Stork-(61)-Trafico-fbook.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 44
  • B-W-Stilt-(19)-fbook.jpg
    B-W-Stilt-(19)-fbook.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Little-Egret-(16)-fbook.jpg
    Little-Egret-(16)-fbook.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Cattle-Egret-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Cattle-Egret-(5)-fbook.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Greater-Flamingo-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Greater-Flamingo-(2)-fbook.jpg
    745 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Spanish passerines, September 2023.

Attachments

• Corn-Bunting-(1)-fbook.jpg
    Corn-Bunting-(1)-fbook.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Spanish-Sparrow-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Spanish-Sparrow-(5)-fbook.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Spotless-Starling-(46)-Barbate-fbook.jpg
    Spotless-Starling-(46)-Barbate-fbook.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Black-Wheatear-(13)-fbook.jpg
    Black-Wheatear-(13)-fbook.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 25
  • G-S-Woodpecker-(7)-fbook.jpg
    G-S-Woodpecker-(7)-fbook.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Long-tailed-Tit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Long-tailed-Tit-(2)-fbook.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Rock-Bunting-(18)-fbook.jpg
    Rock-Bunting-(18)-fbook.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Spotted-Flycatcher-(6)-El-Bujeo-fbook.jpg
    Spotted-Flycatcher-(6)-El-Bujeo-fbook.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Subalpine-Warbler-(26)-fbook.jpg
    Subalpine-Warbler-(26)-fbook.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Black-eared-Wheatear-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Black-eared-Wheatear-(2)-fbook.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 28
A bit of a long shot by any measure.

I was out this morning near the Northumberland coast, hoping to encounter some gems blown in by the weekend's storm. Not much luck in that repect, but I idly fired off a handful of shots of the swells coming in, left over from the white water of the past three days. Just for reference, I was about a quarter of a mile from the waves.

Back home going through the morning's shots I noticed that a couple of the frames included a photo-bombing gull. I zoomed in to see if I could identify it.

Adult Med Gull, EOS R7 plus RF 100-500.

Attachments

• ASG_7514-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7514-fbook.jpg
    867.9 KB · Views: 52
  • ASG_7514--crop-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7514--crop-fbook.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back