• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on ZR 7x36ED2 and 7x43 ED3: field flatteners? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Dear forumers

I pose a question about the Zen Ray (a brand that is not absolutely widespread here in Italy not to say absent among birders...) 7x models, the 7x36 ED2 and the 7x43ED3.

I am a spectacle wearer, and particularly am astigmatic, so I would like to know if one of these fine 7x models features also the field flatteners or other similar device in their eyepieces, so that eye strain may be reduced.

Thank you in advance
Luca

Neither model uses field flatteners. Only the ZR Prime does and from what I remember the company saying some time ago they aren't able to produce a 7x in the Prime lineup.

Hello Luca - no, these are not flat field designs.

Both the 7x36, and the 7x43 designs feature wide fields of view and quite a bit of pincushioning starting from about 1/3 out - giving the effect of looking into a bowl. Quite suitable for close-in birding in densely vegetated habitats.

Your spectacles should correct the astigmatism in your eyes, but there will also be some in the binoculars very edge - of no consequence really. I seem to recall Allbino's scored them quite well for lack of astigmatism. http://www.allbinos.com/254-binoculars_review-Zen-Ray_Optics_ZEN_ED2_8x43.html

If you really want a flat field design with a widish field of view have a look at the Zen-Ray PRIME HD 8x42, or it's twin the Leupold McKinley 8x42. Both offer a lot of glass for the money - literally!

Chosun :gh:

Chosun, FrankD
thank you for your valued replies and for the details you gave.
I would use them intensively for scanning skies in search of migrating raptors, and 7x are best suited for this in my experience.
I will keep an eye however on the Zen Ray binocular lines because understand that they work fine at a very reasonable prices
Best regards
Luca

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back