• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pygoscelis adeliae (Hombron & Jacquinot, 1841) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Pygoscelis adeliae (Hombron & Jacquinot, 1841) OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Adélie Penguin Pygoscelis adeliae Hombron & Jacquinot, 1841 Adélie Dumont d'Urville (1798–1842) was the wife of Admiral Jules-Sebastien-César Dumont d'Urville, the French explorer who first found the penguin. He also named the Adélie Coast of Antarctica after her and other places in and around Antarctica, where he explored in the Astrolabe (1820s). New Zealand's 'Noises' islands are named following his remark about their shape. 'Voilà,' exclaimed d'Urville when he first saw the clumpy little group of islands. 'C'est noisettes', which is French for lamb chops!

The Key to Scientific Names
Adélie Land, Antarctica (named after Adèle "Adélie" Dorothée Dumont d’Urville née Pepin (1798-1842) wife of French explorer Rear-Adm. Jules Dumont d’Urville).
● "Gorfou d'Adélie ... Habite les glaces de la terre Adélie" (Hombron & Jacquinot 1841) (Pygoscelis).

I would agree according OD to the key it is a toponym and only indirectly associated with Dumont d’Urvilles wife.

The wife we can find also in Wikipedia. According their marriage record here p. 63 of 158 born 20 Floréal six (9. May 1798) in Toulon. Here p. 380 of 783 her birth record 22 Floréal six (11. May 1798). Not sure if I read something wrong in one of both reords.

Last edited:
I'm still lacking evidence that Dumont d'Urville's wife was ever, in her life time, called "Adélie".

(As opposed to "Terre Adélie" being a land name formed directly from the stem of Adèle + -ie -- like, in French, "Colombie" is formed from the stem of Columbus + -ie, "Bolivie" from the stem of Bolivar + -ie, or "Terre Clarie" (in the relation of Dumont d'Urville's voyage (here -- see also here) where the "Terre Adélie" was also named) from the stem of Claire + -ie.)

Is there anything supporting this positively ?

Last edited:
⚠️This taxon was earlier dealt with, and debated, back in 2014–2016 (here, see No.7, and onwards; #3–12, 14–27) ...

Why take it from the start, once again, Martin ... ?

Last edited:
Duykers well-researched book (Explorer & Polymath) based on examining journals, 100s of letters and the correspondence of D'Urville and other voyagers has an entire chapter on Mme D'Urville. Based on this evidence he states unequivocally that "Adelie" was D'Urville's pet name for Adele. In the first edition of this book he states without direct evidence that the name adeliae was for the place but in the second edition has/will state that, as Hombron & Jacquinot knew Adelie personally and that there were well versed in Latin that the name is probably an Eponym.

P

As OD only states...

Habite les glaces de la terre Adélie

...I would claim it is only a personal opinion of Duyker (even if the book is well researched). It may requires research on Hombron & Jacquinot letters to come to a conclusion what their intention was. Jules Dumont d’Urville was not the author of the text. But I haven't read Duykers book and there may or may not a letter from Dumont d’Urville asking them to name the Penguin for his wife. But that's all unknown to me.

Last edited:
The penguin was collected the day before the first sailors from both ships landed on Terre Adelie and wasted a bottle of Bordeaux wine for their dead homies. Dumont (for short) named Pepin island in NZ for his wife. C. adeliae was named prior to his wifes death making it likely named for her? I think the sailors (included the names's authors) associated the penguins with Tere Adelie and named it for the land named for the wife???
First rocks sampled in Antarctica (1840): Insights into the landing area and the Terre Adélie craton .

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back